Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worldbuilding>Feedback Please: Continent Structure

Default Worldbuilding>Feedback Please: Continent Structure

Long time lurker, big time fan of Cartographer's Guild!
    Experts > Can you please comment on the "Island Archipelago" near the center of the world map here, and any other feedback is welcome. I'm working on establishing the jet stream now--so I'd like to lock-in this design. I value this group's feedback.
    Is a broken archipelago 'continent' feasible? Believable? Any issues? Overall design? Any flaws?
    Please & thank you. Please be critical as needed.

Kindly,
    PaxVeritasClick image for larger version. 

Name:	RearrangedContinents2017.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	87904Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AverronView.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	497.0 KB 
ID:	87905Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OtherSide.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	423.1 KB 
ID:	87906

It is plausible. There a a bunch of archipelagos like this in the real world too but they are probably smaller.

Blog Entries

a bit too "busy" and the poles do not work well ( this is my pet peeve so...)

-- Remapped using the built in gimp tool "polar coordinates "

and a quick fix
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 09-25-2016 at 04:38 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I don't think there's a problem with an archipelago of that scale. The problem lies more in the general shape of your islands/archipelago.

As Azelor points out, archipelagoes on this scale do exist: Indonesia, Caribbean, Japan, Philippines spring to mind. For reference, smaller ones can also be examined (Vanuatu, Greek Islands, Solomon Islands, Aleutian Islands, Hawaii, eastern Papua New Guinea, Denmark).

What you'll notice about the larger archipelagoes is that they tend to have a fairly linear shape, reflecting (if my memory of geology is correct) underwater mountain ranges thrust upwards by tectonic movement. Smaller archipelagoes are often caused by other factors: Hawaii, for example, is as a result of a volcanic 'hotspot' beneath the Pacific plate.

In the case of your map, I think your islands look too round and disconnected from each other, and all seem to be roughly the same size. If formed through underwater tectonic action (the most likely explanation, according to geology) they would probably make 1 or more ridges and the islands would be very varied in size and shape.

Overall the islands of your archipelago seem to be too regular in terms of their spacing, shape and size. I think checking a map of Indonesia would be a very good idea: it's the best example of a large-scale archipelago like you're making that I can think of.

EDIT: I gave a quick scan to the more detailed areas on your map, but it's hard to make out much at this resolution. If you want some commentary on them, maybe it would be worth posting some zoomed-in images, too.

Hope that's helpful.

THW
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 09-25-2016 at 05:19 PM.

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

There is one possibility here. Take a look at the aegean sea between greece and lydia. What you have is not very dissimilar from that. Imagine the ocean level being much lower with huge amounts of ice locked in at the poles. Then, a melting which rose the ocean level and inundated the area.

It's plausible.

Thank you so much for redrawing the polar caps, johnvanvliet!
    Also thank you to EVERYONE who responded. This is very helpful.

I know I need to redraw the polar caps, and perhaps redraw the archipelago. I'm interested to know, as was suggested, if its possible that the archipelago is not a result of tectonics but rather a flooding of the caps. I have this planet being 14% larger than earth at scale--would that rising of the sea make it plausible? For example, the two 'completed' continents were once one landmass, and I flooded the middle to separate them also.

Here is a major revision to continents, along with reduction in random isles, with a more mindful design of the isles. Can you fine folks have a look at this low resolution image and let me know same feedback---is it all plausible? Any major issues? I made this one "less busy" as was suggested. I also reduced the number of similar isles, and reduced the archipelago area greatly. I fixed the icecaps such that when displayed in a globe they're more rounded rather than jagged. I deeply appreciate it. I value your feedback so much!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WorldmapNew.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	88897
    Last edited by PaxVeritas; 10-26-2016 at 10:53 PM.

If you're working on a world map, I recommend using the Equirectangular projection (see johnvanvliet's post), that is, the map should have 2:1 width:height ratio (for example, 4000x2000). With a square map, it's difficult to judge the shape of the landmasses, and also a square map can't be projected onto a globe or changed to other projections.

Please, please critique again. I've reworked the map accounting for all the previous feedback. You may be critical and that's great. Thanks for taking a few moments to post your thoughts. -PaxClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FournierGlobularTwoHemisphere.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	903.0 KB 
ID:	91859

Please, please critique again. I've reworked the map accounting for all the previous feedback. You may be critical and that's great. Thanks for taking a few moments to post your thoughts. -PaxClick image for larger version. 

Name:	FournierGlobularSolid.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	707.7 KB 
ID:	91860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast