Thread: Caithris, the Known World

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Map Caithris, the Known World

Forget what you know about real world geography on this one (see world description below).
    Beyond that, this is my first full color world map, and it was a challenge. The map was made entirely in Gimp with the aid of my Wacom Intuos Pro. There are many things that I don't like and would have preferred to re-work, but at some point it had to be done! I welcome your comments, critique and encouragement.

Here's the original description of the world I received from my client, so you can understand a bit of why it is the way it is.
    "The region was once a single continent, although more than ten thousand years ago in the world’s history a cataclysmic event at its center caused the continent to break apart radially outward. In the present day it exists as a group of island around a larger main island with a lake at its center, the lake surrounded by mountains. Prior to the cataclysm the genasi, a both technologically and magically advanced race, had an empire which spanned the entire continent. They disappeared following the cataclysm, not gradually but in a single instant. What was not destroyed fell into run over thousands of years. As a result of that cataclysm, the continent now exists as a sort of place between places. The shadowfell and feywild bleed through, sometimes in the same place. Each of the four elemental planes bleeds through in one location/sub-region as well. (What I was hoping for with this is that despite the fact the continent would have started with the same, moderate zone climate, the planar bleeding would result in microclimates that align with whatever plane is bleeding through)."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	known world medium.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	6.47 MB 
ID:	89923
    NATE from Sellsword Maps
    Gamer -- Dungeon Master -- Cartographer -- Find me on YouTube at WASD20

Hey Nate, i really like the color variations of the different biomes and the different drawn elements look superbe! Problem in my view is, that sometimes these lovely elements seem a bit "randomly scattered" and make the rest of the respective islands look too "flat and empty". I think it has to do with the constrains by the commissioner. Would love to see another colored map from you with a more "condensed" landscape composition (not sure if it's understandable what i mean ) because, as said, the drawn elements themselves are fantastic.
    Keep up the great work and your wonderful videos, i always enjoy them a lot!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Shoot. I thought I replied yesterday, but now I don't see it!
    Anyway, I definitely see what you're saying and I agree. I really appreciate that feedback. And thanks for the compliments on my videos. Much appreciated!
    NATE from Sellsword Maps
    Gamer -- Dungeon Master -- Cartographer -- Find me on YouTube at WASD20