Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oct 2016 Challenge: Vampire's Mansion

Wip Oct 2016 Challenge: Vampire's Mansion

Hey there,

guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I will still try this one. Let's see if I can finish this...
    I thought this was the perfect opportunity to try something new and I wanted to make a map using isometric perspective for a long time. So the goal I created for myself to make this overview over a vampire's mansion, with a isometric view in the middle of the page, which will be surrounded by groundplans for the different buildings/rooms.
    In my head this made sense... I am curious if it actually works out the way I imagined.

So here are a few WIPs. First a suuuper messy sketch to sort things in my head, second a rough grid/layout I set up to help me and third the detailed linework for the isometric view.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step1.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	382.1 KB 
ID:	88674

Very nice line work, the building is looking very good.
    One thing I question, at the peak of the roof facade, is that a small statue or is that a cross? If that is a cross, I would not expect to find it on a Vampire's home.

Welcome to the challenge!

Thank you, good point. I changed that. A similar thing I am still thinking about is that tree. I feel that design-wise it should probably be a dead tree (or at least one without foliage), but I am not sure if that would be a good choice visually. ... since all the tiny branches would add a lot of detail to the border of the image and maybe draw attantion away from the mansion.

Today I added some little details, a background and took care of the actual ground plans surrounding the building.

Name:	step2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	480.3 KB 
ID:	88725
    Last edited by mat_r; 10-21-2016 at 08:49 AM.
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

WOW ! Really nice start !

Impressive illustration.
    I dont see a reason to make the tree dead just because it is a vampire mansion, but if you want to make it all gloomy atmosphere, then it will definately fit.

That is Very nice, mat_r.

I love it!!!
    What a start!

Thank you guys

Did not change too much, today. Shifted some things around, added decorative stuff...
    At this point the biggest question probably is, whether to color the drawing in the middle or not. Initially it was my plan to paint behind the lines, but now I think it might ruin the style...
    I shall do some experimenting tomorrow.

Name:	step3.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	323.2 KB 
ID:	88822

I would add the interior and landscape colors, if it were me, but you're not me, so don't think I'm trying to persuade either way. I'd choose subdued water color palate (colors with 30+% level of transparency). It might also look good doing a gray scale version instead of color, again nice line work, but for me, I'd do a little more. I'd totally understand if you thought that is complete. Some nice skills you have.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Yes, I think you are right...
    So here is a colored version. I guess it kind of works and I am inclined to call this finished, just because I know I sometimes tend to overwork things, but somehow I am not yet 100% satisfied with the result. Maybe I need to sleep over it.

Suggestions on how to improve this are appreciated

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	step6.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	499.7 KB 
ID:	88839
    Last edited by mat_r; 10-24-2016 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast