Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New map!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Map New map!

Here is my latest creation. It is still waiting for a new home so it may look empty, but I can work with you for the cities, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknown_Map_03Compressed.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	90623
    Good day!

Mimine
    Last edited by Mimine; 12-30-2016 at 01:59 PM.

Hi Mimine, firstly, welcome to the Guild!

This is a very pretty map and I love the textured feel of it. The colours are attractive and I like the wave effect in the sea. It's too bad that it's not fully labelled but you can't have everything.

A couple of small points... You may have some river violations down near the bottom centre of the map. In one place, just above the small forest area, you have a river running from one coastline to another. Not sure if that's meant to be a manmade canal? A natural river wouldn't flow that way. Just slightly to the right of this, you have a river splitting long before it reaches the coast. Is that meant to be a delta? It doesn't quite sell 'delta' to me as it is, and looks more like a split. The only other thing that caught my eye is how you have some lines and elements overlapping. For example, in one or two places, you have grass tufts sitting on top of the dots that make the road, and I think it would be cleaner if they didn't overlap. And perhaps you could put the black city icons on top of the roads, rather than having the roads on top. This is mega nitpicking for sure, but it would give a clearer, less cluttered result if these items don't overlap, IMO.

Nitpicks aside, this is a gorgeous map and a fantastic debut at the Guild! Looking forward to seeing more from you.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Very nice map, and welcome to the Guild, Mimine! The mountains are really great and I like the overall colour of the map.

Besides the things which Chickpea said, this is a fantastic map. Keep it up!

Thank you very much for the advices! I am still new in this world and there are MANY things you do not think about when you start! These are things you learn when kind people like you make you notice it. You can be certain that I will apply those tips on my next map!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very nice map! I find that the choice of colors and the overall ambiance make a very nice "northern" atmosphere. Nice pencil stroke for mountains and cliffs, too! Congratulations!

Great map Mimine, especially since you're new to this. ChickPea already pointed out some good advice. The only thing I would add is that I noticed you used brushes for the mountains, or just copied them. I think drawing the mountains individually would greatly compliment the map. Sure, it would be a little more time consuming, but in the end I believe it would improve the map. Those are just small details though, and you really did a great job here! Congrats!

-Dan

I really like your colors and I concur with Dan on the drawing. You'll quickly get the hang of it.

Praise

Hello Mimine, I think it is a good map and once populated with names and places it could be a great map!

@Chickpea: That coastline to coastline thing looks more like a lake to coastline thing to me. The left body of water has a border the color of the river whereas the sea/ocean has a black border. It seems to me that it goes river > lake > river > delta > ocean. When you compare the two huge swamp (badlands) areas to the size of the mini-delta it would be hard to show that terrain representation in such a small area so it being omitted isn't a problem for my eyes. I think if that area were zoomed in then it might make more sense to show the swampy terrain more clearly. Maybe it's a scale thing?

When I step back and look at the map at arms length the circular cluster of shattered islands seems... I don't know... incongruous with the other land shapes. For my eyes the outer arc of that cluster seems to flow but the inner fill of the circle is... overly busy. It's probably just my eyes rather than the map.

Keep up the good mapping!
    All the best, niekell.
    Last edited by niekell; 01-06-2017 at 02:03 AM.
    Do not stare too long into the Abyss, lest the Abyss stare back into you.

Thank you very much for your advice here Niekell! I will sure use every tip you all gave me in my next maps ! (The best I can, of course)
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

I am actually practicing to draw mountains individually, I totally agree with you, it would look much better! Thank you for your advice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast