Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Vanishing Falls

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Wip The Vanishing Falls

Hi,

I wanted to first post this under my Nessa'Mor map WIP, for two reasons. It is a map of the Cavern where the Vanishing Falls drop into. Two, because my main project at the moment is the Valley of Ancient bones map. BUT then I thought, what the heck, I felt inspired to start this.
    So, here is the proof of concept so far.

I'm hiking the fish river canyon next week. So I'm not here to update my maps. Just so you know.
    This is my first proper top-down battle map. But it is also in infant status. I need actually DnD or Pathfinder people to help me get this ready for use. Or any feedback really.

This map started as a drawing today. But, I did Lineart over it and decided for this type of map it is sufficient and stuck with it.
    Also, I tried a waterfall landing into the underground lake but took it out, I'm not sure how to tackle a waterfall landing in a top down perspective...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProofofConcept_VanishingFalls.jpeg 
Views:	173 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	96816

Have a nice day,
    Omri

P.S. And yes there are places that the average player character can't squeeze through.
    Last edited by XCali; 06-22-2017 at 04:00 PM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi XCali,

Over on the top right corner where you have the REALLY thin gap and the bit a little under where there is a fork in a gap, are they intended to be exit/entry points? If so, and they probably should be, they need to be marginally larger, dependant on your scale. Just looking at the map and not knowing the scale, it appears even small creatures would struggle with those passages, particularly the first one I mentioned.

If the body of water is stagnant what you've done looks really good, if not, some detail lines to give the effect of a motion would be good. Other than that I can't really think of anything to add, it's a good solid base to work from. Plenty of hidey holes etc for the bad guys. Google Tuckers Kobolds, this cavern system would suit them to the ground!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Hi XCali,

Over on the top right corner where you have the REALLY thin gap and the bit a little under where there is a fork in a gap, are they intended to be exit/entry points? If so, and they probably should be, they need to be marginally larger, dependant on your scale. Just looking at the map and not knowing the scale, it appears even small creatures would struggle with those passages, particularly the first one I mentioned.

If the body of water is stagnant what you've done looks really good, if not, some detail lines to give the effect of a motion would be good. Other than that I can't really think of anything to add, it's a good solid base to work from. Plenty of hidey holes etc for the bad guys. Google Tuckers Kobolds, this cavern system would suit them to the ground!
    Hehe, thanks. Though, I would ask if people are still fond of play sessions that include things like Tucker's Kobolds?

Also, the water is where a waterfall drops in from the surface, though how to represent that in a top down is a bit more difficult. And the moving water is a good point, there is a stream going from the body under the rock. And I'll see if I can make the passages wider in regard to if people OR small creatures can fit through.

(Aside from that, the places where I still feel a little clueless is how to now go and add adventure hooks in this cavern. Any ideas?)

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Caverns can have tiny holes where humanoids and small creatures can't go. They are perfect for snakes and insects to hide in. They can also be used by gaseous creatures like Vampires and amorphous creatures like Grey Oozes and Slithering Trackers.

My one critique on what you have so far is that the floor texture is much lower resolution than the wall texture so when you zoom in the floor looks a little pixelated.

Try these for the waterfall / ripple effects These are all from Dundjinni, I didn't make any of them.
    Name:  Waterfall89.png
Views: 427
Size:  100.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Water_splash_sc.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	435.4 KB 
ID:	96864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterfall.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	96865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fountainwaves01_dfb.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	96866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fountainwaves02_dfb.png 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	96867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fountainwaves03_dfb.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	96868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterripples01_dfb.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	96870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterripples03_dfb.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	454.0 KB 
ID:	96871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RealFoam1_dgw-a.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	538.5 KB 
ID:	96872
    Last edited by Bogie; 06-24-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Question I'm back in my own country! Vanishing Falls odds and ends.

Hi everyone,

I'm back from my hiking trip and sleeping under the stars for 6 nights.

So I started with this map for my updates today. I added some flow to the water. Simple, nothing extroadinary.
    Also, I added a texture above my ground layer to make it look more high def if I got the feedback right?

Then I TRIED making the one tunnel bigger, but it made me think if the PC's would be confused to which direction is their main one, apart from exploring?

Name:	Vanishing Falls_2_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	97226

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hey XCali

Looking good.

I think it might look even better if you use those graphics that Bogie gave you to do the waterfall to give it a bit more dynamism?

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Caverns can have tiny holes where humanoids and small creatures can't go. They are perfect for snakes and insects to hide in. They can also be used by gaseous creatures like Vampires and amorphous creatures like Grey Oozes and Slithering Trackers.

My one critique on what you have so far is that the floor texture is much lower resolution than the wall texture so when you zoom in the floor looks a little pixelated.

Try these for the waterfall / ripple effects These are all from Dundjinni, I didn't make any of them.
    Name:  Waterfall89.png
Views: 427
Size:  100.4 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Water_splash_sc.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	435.4 KB 
ID:	96864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Waterfall.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	96865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fountainwaves01_dfb.png 
Size:	276.5 KB 
ID:	96866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fountainwaves02_dfb.png 
Size:	278.9 KB 
ID:	96867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fountainwaves03_dfb.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	297.1 KB 
ID:	96868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterripples01_dfb.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	166.4 KB 
ID:	96870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterripples03_dfb.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	454.0 KB 
ID:	96871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RealFoam1_dgw-a.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	538.5 KB 
ID:	96872
    Cool beans, I'll check it out.

Though, I have only heard of dunjinni in passing and I still don't understand it that well. In that regard is the tokens free?

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Cool beans, I'll check it out.

Though, I have only heard of dunjinni in passing and I still don't understand it that well. In that regard is the tokens free?
    Dundjinni is a mapping program something like CC3. The DundJinni Forums have over 70,000 user created mapping objects, 98% of which are free to use however you want. Unfortunately the Forums have been unstable for a couple years, and it is hard to search them. best option is to go to Google Images and search for "Dundjinni <name of image you are looking for>" and Google will find a lot of them for you. example Dundjinni Waterfall

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Dundjinni is a mapping program something like CC3. The DundJinni Forums have over 70,000 user created mapping objects, 98% of which are free to use however you want. Unfortunately the Forums have been unstable for a couple years, and it is hard to search them. best option is to go to Google Images and search for "Dundjinni <name of image you are looking for>" and Google will find a lot of them for you. example Dundjinni Waterfall
    Ah cool beans. Thank you.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Help

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd tackle the waterfall today. I think it works. But, I would like some feedback on it.
    Apart from that, I added a 20 x 20 grid.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Vanishing Falls_Grid and waterfal_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.88 MB 
ID:	97444

What is needed after this, for a battlemap, I have no clue whatsoever. I'm even unsure if I should tag the thing, APART from a title. I remind you that this is my first proper attempt at a top down battlemap. And my ISO one has me stumped at the moment too. So, a little guidance would be much appreciated.

(In the end, there will be a grid and gridless version. Just so you know.)
    Last edited by XCali; 07-10-2017 at 02:21 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast