Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bannarith: Seat of Empire

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Bannarith: Seat of Empire

I haven't started* an honest-to-goodness WIP thread in a long time, so here's one. Here we've got a roughly India-sized subcontinent in the northwest, and the tip of a much larger continent in the southeast. The major power in this region is a Byzantine-flavored empire centered on the straits between the two landmasses. So far I've got land outlines and the beginnings of mountains and rivers. I don't know where I'm going with this yet, to be honest. It might stay black and white, it might not.

*Or finished one, but that's another story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bannarith1.jpg 
Views:	998 
Size:	546.3 KB 
ID:	96937  

As always, looking forward to it. I know you know but...not the biggest fan of those mountains

And yes, haven't seen you in a while. Glad you're back! CG without D maps is just not the same
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I think this is a very good start for a map... and stories!
    I like these places : witn a specific geography. I find them, therefore, full of stories, struggles of influence, etc!

For the mountains, I'm glad to see what you're going to do with the hatching! This is exactly the kind of drawing I want to use for the relief of my map for Guildworld! It is compelling, but I think it gives good ... It is immediately a more "old" style!

Looking for the next WIP !

Had some time this afternoon to play with this, and got a lot done, actually. I settled on a look (though the colors and specifics might change). This is going to be pretty label-heavy, so I lowered the opacity of the mountains quite a bit so as not to distract. I'm keeping the font simple, again so it doesn't get too illegible. Eventually there will be borders with subtle color washes to denote the areas under Imperial control; major roads; sea routes; maybe sigils/flags of the various nations. I also experimented a bit with a map border. I kind of like it, but again, subject to change.

Bonus: I designed the landforms to give myself plenty of room for a title cartouche and legend box. For once!

Name:	Bannarith2.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	97038  

Nice map so far!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Inching along...

I hated the outer border so it's gone. I'll have to think about what I want there. I've started to add some imperial provinces and a few neighboring nations:
    - Astel is an English/Norse fusion
    - the Iron Cities are your typical free city alliance, only kept from tearing each other apart by the looming Empire
    - Irebhour is a powerful free city; it's been an Imperial subject several times, but every time it happens, much of the population retreats to the mountains where they raid the city and imperial shipping incessantly until the Empire gives up and the city is free again
    - Yrm might be some kind of Persia analog. Not sure yet.
    - The Gathish Highlands and points west are populated by barbaric tribesmen

Name:	Bannarith3.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	97139  

Hey I missed this while I was buried in my Challenge map.

Wow - just look at all those hachures! That must have taken you all day!

Nope; they're brushes! I'm really quite lazy - I always look for time-saving approaches.

The brushes are here.

Oooh, I can tell right now that this is going to be legen.. (wait for it)... dary!

It's starting so well, with all the right elements, so don't you dare 1. not finish it, 2. not label it with the year, in the finished maps section, so it pops up by december for nominations.

Go go Diamond

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast