Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 2017 Challenge map: The Hanging Gardens of Magrael

Default June 2017 Challenge map: The Hanging Gardens of Magrael

Hi Everyone

This was my entry to the June 2017 Challenge - to reinvent the Hanging Gardens of Babylon.

My take on the theme was to land a small group of colonists on a world that turned out to be less than ideal for them, such that the only place they might grow the vegetation they required to survive in the absence of any edible indigenous plant species, was on top of the rocks that protruded from an eternally shifting sea of silt.

Many thanks to everyone who helped me along with all the encouragement, advice, joking, leg pulling - and the odd bit of cajoling - and especially to everyone who liked it enough to vote for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magrael with insets 06.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	8.42 MB 
ID:	97304

The map is a texture painting done in GIMP, using a combination of my own textures, some which I downloaded directly from Textures.Com, and some which I generated in Genetica using source images from Textures.com.

(And if you have already commented on the WIP thread here, please don't feel obliged to make another comment on this thread if you feel that you've already said it all before - I'll understand )
    Last edited by Mouse; 07-06-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Thank you Francesca

Actually, I think I've more to say . I realize that I also like the shape of those green desert islands. It makes me think of those remnants of water drop shaped islands you can find on Mars.

What a lovely piece! A very harmonic composition - I love how well the text and other elements work together. You've developed a very pleasing style with the textures, the vegetation in particular looks great. The thing that really knocks this one out of the park for me is the beautiful use of colors.

I'll confess I'm not very fond of the font you used, but that is really the only thing I can nitpick here. Great work! Some well-deserved rep headed right your way, ma'am!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Actually, I think I've more to say . I realize that I also like the shape of those green desert islands. It makes me think of those remnants of water drop shaped islands you can find on Mars.
    Oh! It was purely by mistake

Thanks Ilanthar

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    What a lovely piece! A very harmonic composition - I love how well the text and other elements work together. You've developed a very pleasing style with the textures, the vegetation in particular looks great. The thing that really knocks this one out of the park for me is the beautiful use of colors.

I'll confess I'm not very fond of the font you used, but that is really the only thing I can nitpick here. Great work! Some well-deserved rep headed right your way, ma'am!
    Thanks Kelleri!

LOL! That font! Its the dots in the 'o's isn't it? I'll try to find a better one for my next map

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

really nice map you have here.

reminds me of the old isometric games like Baldurs gate etc.

Thank you, vorropohaiah

And thank you also for the rep

Beautiful map Sue. I cannot remember if I repped you already. If not, let me know, I'll make it right.

Thank you Thomas

You have indeed repped me already on the Challenge thread. Thank you - much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast