Thread: Corel Painter for Mapping?

Link Corel Painter for Mapping?

I was wondering if any one uses Corel Painter for mapping? And if so you could point me in the right direction for starting ot make maps with it? Especially using tectured papers and the new 2.5D brushes.
    The New Corel 2018 had 2.5D brushes that give your map some depth.

http://www.painterartist.com/en/prod...w_wcB#features

At this time I have just started to experiment and was looking for advice to get me past the learning curve.
    Thanks

I always liked Corel Paint, but most of the tutorials dealing with painting programs tend to focus either on Photoshop or GIMP. Those techniques of course also will work for Corel Paint, but their execution is going to differ, but my suggestion would simply be to use those tutorials and translate their techniques to work in Corel. For basic Corel Tutorials, I think you'll just have to use general ones available on youtube etc.

Guild Expert

I love Corel painter, I have the 2016 version, and the only reason I don't use it for mapping is because the interface is too small on my surface tablet. The blend modes are very similar to PhotoShop or Gimp, and I think they have a few extra ones as well and they work in a similar way. I'm excited to get my new computer going because I've always wanted to use the water colour brushes for mapping, and after seeing the new 2.5D and texture brushes I'm even more excited, I think I might have to upgrade to the 2018 version.

The only downfall would be if you're not familiar with mapping techniques and are relying on map making tutorials to learn because most of the tutorials are for PhotoShop and Gimp, but I don't see how most of the techniques couldn't be transferred over, and anything that you just can't figure out how to adapt you can do these layers in Gimp which is free and then bring them into Corel Painter. Allot of people use multiple programs when making maps.

You'll want to read the manual that comes with painter, it's pretty good, the brush system is pretty hefty, but has allot of power if you're willing to learn it, there are tutorials for that on you tube, and allot of info in the manual. I'd say there's a steep learning curve, but worth it in the end. I haven't spent a great deal of time with it because of hardware limitations, but once that's out of the way I think it will be very useful for mapping, and I'm personally excited to use it in my work flow.

Hey kacey,
    I have both a desktop and a surface pro 3. LOVE my SP3. Anyway, one way aound your small screen is that you can get a video out adaptor to plub into a monator.

I played with the 2d brushes in Painter 2018 and they look awsome I just need to get my head around painter for creating my fantasy map.

Guild Novice

I use Corel and just upgraded to 2018. I have just started a map going with an impressionist, Monet type feel. I will have to try those brushes this weekend. Wish there were more people to glean from using Corel. I will be looking around.

I just bought Painter 2016 like a month ago and still need to install it.
    I had used a cut-down version years back and liked it but it was too intensive for my old computer.
    This was years and years back. I need to get it installed. Maybe tonight or this weekend at least.
    Then I can try to join in more on this discussion.

I'd love to have it.

I still use my 20 yr old Corel Suite, which includes Corel Photopaint - distant ancestor of this app.

If Win 10 hadn't sounded the death knell on my very ancient software (It crashes unpredictably and without warning), I wouldn't be bothering with GIMP.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I just bought Painter 2016 like a month ago and still need to install it.
    I had used a cut-down version years back and liked it but it was too intensive for my old computer.
    This was years and years back. I need to get it installed. Maybe tonight or this weekend at least.
    Then I can try to join in more on this discussion.

Do you mean you bought Painter 2017 just a month ago? If so...
    When I bought Painter 2017, only 34 days later Painter 2018 came out. I contacted Corel and they sold me Painter 2018 for $35.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyon View Post
    Do you mean you bought Painter 2017 just a month ago? If so...
    When I bought Painter 2017, only 34 days later Painter 2018 came out. I contacted Corel and they sold me Painter 2018 for $35.
    Unfortunately, no. I bought 2016 on amazon last month.
    I suspect Corel wouldn't give me much of a discount, and I use win7 so not sure if some new features would be dependent on win10.