Thread: Town map generating Twitter bot

Default Town map generating Twitter bot

Hi folks,

As a sort-of follow-up to my Twitter bot Uncharted Atlas, I've just released Metropologeny, a new bot which generates town maps. I thought some people around here might get a kick out of it.

The maps it makes are unlabeled, and you're more than welcome to use them for any purpose you like - let me know if you think of something cool!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newtest.png 
Views:	396 
Size:	919.9 KB 
ID:	99295

This is fantastic! Maybe we could make a future challenge out of this. The bot generates your layout and you take it from there.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Member Guild Supporter

That would be really fantastic (a challenge based on the maps that mewo2's bot generates, I mean). It's already fantastically inspiring

Blog Entries

This is good. Its a really hard task to make a town map autogenerator that looks convincing. This is certainly the best I have seen so far or at least for a long enough time I cant recall seeing a better one. Its a really hard task to make a town that feels like a working town. It takes a lot of knowledge about towns, people and, I believe, economics to do it really well and thats such a big step to take.

That's very cool mewo2, thanks for sharing it with us.

I didn't know this thread existed until Chickpea pointed out that Mewo2 was a member of the guild. But, I figured I should link to my post where I did in fact turn one of Metropologeny's maps into something a bit more fleshed out.

Thanks for all your work Mewo!
    whipstache.com

Find my design work at whipstache.com

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Interesting - those streets are rather wiggly though, even for a European town.

Thank you so much.
    I follow Uncharted Atlas and get a kick out of many of those maps, it's cool that there's a town version also!

Quote Originally Posted by mewo2 View Post
    Hi folks,

As a sort-of follow-up to my Twitter bot Uncharted Atlas, I've just released Metropologeny, a new bot which generates town maps. I thought some people around here might get a kick out of it.

The maps it makes are unlabeled, and you're more than welcome to use them for any purpose you like - let me know if you think of something cool!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newtest.png 
Views:	396 
Size:	919.9 KB 
ID:	99295
    I have never seen that before, so cool. Think I might have to send that link to my groups Dungeon Master.

@mewo2 have you released the script for this like the uncharted atlas script?
    i would really like to do a 3D version using blender/bge/some big game engine.