Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Sept / Oct '17 Lite Challenge: Map The Caves of Chaos.

Default Sept / Oct '17 Lite Challenge: Map The Caves of Chaos.

Sept / Oct '17 Lite Challenge: Map part of The Caves of Chaos.

This Challenge is a bit Different. For many of you who grew up playing Dungeons & Dragons you know the name, Caves of Chaos, it is part of a larger adventure module, Keep on the Borderlands. KotB, was an introduction to D&D. It is a classic. You don't have to be a D&D player to do this, we are just creating a map. But what a map! The Caves of Chaos is massive. Way to big a project to do as a lite challenge in less than a month. So, I want each of you to make a part of it. After the Challenge I will reassemble the entire cave system from your individual parts. Yes, it will be a lot of styles that don't exactly go together, but it is the Caves of CHAOS after all.
    This is how it works: I am posting the original Blue Graph Paper map and a second copy of it divided into sections using different colors. In the upper right corner is a color code key that will tell you the number for the section.
    Pick a section that looks interesting to you and post That number at the beginning of your first post. I will try to keep track and post which ones are taken. First come first served. If duplication happens, or if we have more participants than sections (11) I will use the one that gets the most votes to reassemble the Caves.
    Since this is partially a group colaborative effort we need some minimal standards.
    On these old maps, 1 small blue square = 10 feet. But current battlemaps are made at 1inch = 5 feet. So if the old map shows a room that is 2 squares by 2 squares, it is 20ft x 20 ft and your map needs to be 4 inches by 4 inches. to be 20' x 20'. And we are going to all do this at 70dpi = 1" = 5'. Don't put a grid overlay on your maps, but if the floor tiles you use have a built in grid that is OK as long as the grid matches the 1"= 5" standard ( or a multiple of that ).
    I know this is a lot different from my usual challenges, but I hope you will have fun doing it.
    Win a silver compass, you know you want one, come and get it.

The Challenge will run until the end of the day on the 14th of October (Midnight eastern daylight time between the 14th and 15th, more or less, depending on when I can get to the computer to start the voting) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Shiny Silver Compass, make it yours!

As usual, title your threads: "Sept / Oct '17 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And don't forget, there is a new WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.

SECTIONS TAKEN: After you commit to a section I will PM you the original Text about each room in your section. Thanks for Playing!
    1: Bioluminescence ....Ladiestorm
    2: Worldsmith......QED42
    3: Belgoth ........mixerbach
    4: Tenia ......... Greason Wolfe
    5: Krieghund ...... Noltron000
    6: Azelor
    7: Redrobes ........ northerncartography
    8: Axebane ....... Tilt
    9: Kier ......... Troedel
    10: industrygothica
    11: ThomasR

Non-Voting Participation: Overland map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavesofchaos.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	385.6 KB 
ID:	99337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cavesofchaos-Colored Sections.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	99342

ADD ON Info
    The sizes are getting bigger than I was thinking. Instead of 100 dpi, let's use the Roll20 standard of 70 dpi. That should keep the file size down, and post everything in jpg not png.

If someone wants to make the above ground map, that would be cool, BUT not for voting purposes as it would not be a fair comparison if 14 people made dungeon maps and 2 did above ground terrain maps.

Secondary map for better room labeling:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caves_of_chaos_large_notrees.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	651.7 KB 
ID:	99371
    Last edited by Bogie; 10-09-2017 at 09:53 PM.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Hi!
    I'd like to do section 5. Do I post here, or should I make a new thread to 'claim' it?

Guild Artisan

Hi Bogie,

I will give it a whirl. Section 9 please.

8 - I would like to attempt section 8. Thanks, and I look forward to seeing the final map!

Hi all, I would like to do the section 9 if you don´t mind. I kind of interested in the resulting styles.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't normally do a challenge but this one looks fun and I am always up for a collaborative one. Can I take 7 please.

Hi, I'd like to try 11

This is a great idea Bogie!

I think 11 parts might not be enough.

Hi the number 2 part for me

Note From Bogie: Welcome to the Guild Worldsmith!! I can't send a message to you until you have posted 5 times. So as soon as you get a chance run around and post "Great Map" or something like that, on 4 other peoples maps and then let me know so I can send you the private message with the room keys.
    Last edited by Bogie; 09-18-2017 at 11:14 PM.

On the other hand if there are enough people to double up on parts it makes it more likely that the entire map be completed.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast