Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: *** October 2017 Challenge: A Word, A Quest ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** October 2017 Challenge: A Word, A Quest ***

It's that time again, time to begin another monthly Challenge! First, I wanted to thank everyone who participated in our summer special; that was one long haul! But now we're back to our regular schedule, and your challenge this month is to map a quest using some words I'll provide you.

Think of all the classic fantasy and science fiction that revolves around the quest motif - our heroes have to trek through the wilderness (or a city, or a space station, etc etc) in search of a fabled object of power, or a way to dispose of same; or maybe they're looking for a reclusive hermit who's actually a powerful mage. Maybe they're looking for a lost city. Maybe they're hunting for exotic and rare animals in a dark jungle.

Now that you have a refresher , here's how this will work: below, you'll find a list of 30 words. Pick AT LEAST five (5) of those words, and draw a map depicting an epic quest that revolves around those words. The style, subject matter (as long as it somehow includes those five words), and setting is completely up to you.

The words:

dragon
    gun
    sword
    star
    cave
    road
    tavern
    hidden
    dark
    legendary
    gem
    midnight
    alone
    empire
    piercing
    temple
    axis
    house
    wandering
    port
    master/mistress
    knowledge
    silver
    peacock
    freezing
    gold
    eye
    fortress
    child
    victory

You can modify the words you choose. For example if you choose 'gold' you can modify it to 'golden'. If you choose 'child' you can change it to 'children'. Etc etc.

This challenge will run until about 9PM Pacific Time on the evening of Tuesday, October 31st. Get your trick-or-treating done early, come home, and finish your maps! The winner will get a magnificent Golden Compass to call their very own, and even more important, the knowledge that their peers thought their map was freaking AWESOME.

Please don't forget the rules:

1) Label your threads like so: October 2017 Challenge: <<your title goes here>>

2) Don't forget to include the ### Latest WIP ### tag before your work-in-progress pics. There is a button for that now.

3) All entries/maps cannot have been started prior to the beginning of the challenge.

That's it! Map away!
    Last edited by Diamond; 10-04-2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: damn typos...

Cool idea Diamond!

Interesting!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Journeyer

Oh this is good stuff. I'm getting really excited about what to do with this one.

I'm thinking this is ideal for a regional map - my weakest point. I'm thinking... maaaaybeeee....

Great choice, D

Guild Journeyer

This question might have an obvious answer, so sorry in advance, but can we have multiple maps in a singular project?
    I've just concocted this bizarre idea that unfortunately might only work as a series rather than a singular map.

Worst case scenario I suppose I just end up with a massive gimp file.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Samstego, you sure can. Just be aware that the thumbnail scraper only picks up one image at a time, so if you have multiple maps you'd have to combine them somehow into one image. Aeshnidae did that with one of her entries not too long ago and it looked great.

Starting to get an idea for this one, but must finish up my lite challenge entry first so that I don't get distracted.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

So would we be writing a story along with this? Or do we tell the story through the map in a sense?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Worcestor View Post
    So would we be writing a story along with this? Or do we tell the story through the map in a sense?
    I imagine the focus is mainly on the map. If you want to write a story, I'm sure that's fine too, but it's the map that's really key.

With mine, I might include a bit of info at the side of the map, but nothing much. I might write up a bit of lore to go on a post, but that's more just for fun!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast