Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Map an Island - Pick a Shape

Map Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Map an Island - Pick a Shape

Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: Map an Island - Pick a Shape.

For this challenge I want you to map an Island. How you do it is up to you. Use your favorite style or try something new.
    The only requirement is that you have to use one of these 4 shapes and the island should be approximately 150 miles ( 241 km ) across.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island Shape1.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	100248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island Shape2.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	100249Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island Shape3.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	100250Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island Shape4.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	100251

Regarding size: ( EDITED to resolve some questions )

Most of the islands are between 100 and 150 miles wide and I adjusted them so they were all about the same. if you rotate the island, then the 150 miles would run north to south so it stays the same size.
    The 150 mile scale was intended to be a guideline so everyone would know what they were working with, but my primary goal is to see what kind of an island you would build out of these shapes. If you prefer to work at a very different scale, it is OK with me, the voters are the ones who decide what they like anyway!

Win a silver compass, you know you want one, come and get it.

The Challenge will run until the end of the day on the 14th of November (Midnight eastern daylight time between the 14th and 15th, more or less, depending on when I can get to the computer to start the voting) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Shiny Silver Compass, make it yours!

As usual, title your threads: "Oct / Nov '17 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And don't forget, there is a WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.
    Last edited by Bogie; 10-19-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Guild Member Guild Supporter

Interesting shapes - where did you get those islands, Bogie?

Quote Originally Posted by Bioluminescence View Post
    Interesting shapes - where did you get those islands, Bogie?
    Google Satellite, they are real islands. Bonus points if you can figure out where they came from.

Before I start digging into this, I have a question. Do we have to use the given orientation or can we rotate the shapes to fit a personal vision. Obviously the actual shape would have to be maintained and recognizable but being able to reorient things might be helpful for some.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

That's a peculiar set of glaciated terrains. It's sad the way you lopped the western bit off of Devon Island, though. The Mercator projection throws things off a bit, too.

[edit] I see, you chopped up all of the islands. Somerset is missing its whole southern half! Wait, Melville is intact. Prince of Wales seems to have undergone a bit of a rotation, though.
    Last edited by waldronate; 10-18-2017 at 11:13 AM.

This reminds me of those old psych tests. You know - the ones in the 70s and 80s where the doctor holds up flash cards with different shapes and asks you what you see?

Well they did in films anyway. No idea if they really did it

Rorschach tests.
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 10-18-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Yes - those things

Candlesticks and butterflies

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Google Satellite, they are real islands. Bonus points if you can figure out where they came from.
    My friend might know - I'll ask her.

Blog Entries

Well when I look at the first one I see a voluptuous woman. For the second one I also see a voluptuous woman, the third I see more of a young woman pouting and the fourth is more like the first voluptuous woman only in a different pose.

Do I have a problem doc ?

BTW: Here is my entry....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W...set_island.jpg

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast