Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oct/Nov Lite Mapping Challenge: Spyrmenchi Island

Wip Oct/Nov Lite Mapping Challenge: Spyrmenchi Island

First the disclaimer: This is an experiment. I don't know how it's going to turn out... it will probably end up looking horrible. I'm okay with that, because I'm trying something new...for me at least.

Now the explanation: I'm starting with a black and white base. For those of you who understand the cc3+ program, I'm starting with the Mike Schley inks style, which is black and white, no textures. Then I'm pulling in 'hand drawn' elements, but all of those elements have color. And instead of using the fills and textures to convey forests, rivers, oceans, and what not, I'm using hints of color, but not heavily saturated colors. Like I said, this will probably turn out looking horrible in the end... but I'm experimenting with an idea I've been toying with.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spyrmenchi.2.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	287.0 KB 
ID:	100750
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

That's an interesting idea - and certainly very new coming from you

I love to see people experimenting.

Did you draw those trees? They look really cool

Mouse, you know I can't draw worth a flip! lol... No those are actually symbols from the Dundjinni Archives. So are the mountains. But seeing them is what spurred me on to actually try this. I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while, I've even tried a couple of times, but I have to start with the ink's style to do this, and this is the first time I've ever been able to get color to work on it, because it's actually a black and white style. So, yes, something new for me. How it will turn out? *shrugs* don't know... but I'm curious enough to continue....
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Welcome to the Challenge Storm! I think you are off to a good start especially since this is an all new technique!!

I don't know if it's all that new... it's just not something I've ever done before.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Well, I added a bit of color tint, but I'm not quite sure I like the way I did it... I may go back and change it. I wanted the colors to sort of represent the elevations, but I'm not quite sure I did it right.

I also added some hills, but I used the varicolor symbols (ones that I could change color) I may need to go a little lighter... they are too bold as they are... but it's coming together.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spyrmenchi.3.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	100785
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Trouble is, Storm, I can't see what you can see in your imagination about how you want it to turn out, but it does look quite pretty

On my monitor the green hills look very aqua so they look more like lakes than hills, could just be my monitor though.

Blog Entries

Thats funny because one of my thoughts was that the sea is very mauve on my machine. I have never colour calibrated my monitor so its also possible its mine too. But it may be worth colour checking your monitor with some pantone cards which you can get to check.

Edit: Sea is RGB ( 204, 199, 255 ) so it is ever so slightly mauve. Hills are RGB ( 214, 243, 226 ) which is indeed an aqua colour. So if you intended this then fine no problem, if not then it may be worth checking your monitor colour.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-04-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    On my monitor the green hills look very aqua so they look more like lakes than hills, could just be my monitor though.
    ??!!?? Oh? This is getting interesting. I find neither green nor aqua hills, only brown ones. This could be turning into a magical mystery map!
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast