Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chashio's Mapvember 2017

Default Chashio's Mapvember 2017

Hello. Been a while since I posted any maps.
    I'm not following the official prompts or doing a map per day, but since it's Mapvember I figured I'd create a thread to dump my sketchy little maps into for the month. I'm also posting them on Instagram, if you're over there.

Here's the first of however many I do... a map and view of Duchont's Bowl and surrounding area. Created in Painter. I sketched the view first and then roughed out a top-down[ish] map of the area after. Accidentally wandered onto the base canvas layer at one point and couldn't easily move stuff after that so the map is a bit out of place. oh well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017 11 04 scene to map wip2 sg.JPG 
Views:	331 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	100791
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

I always love seeing your new maps Chashio
    This one offers a very interesting view from both angles.
    and doing the tones canvas in grey to allow for the white water was a good choice.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Great to see you doing some more maps Chashio! Don't worry, only some of us are following the guidelines, and I'm just going all over the place with mine.

Lovely perspective you've captured in these little sketches and look forwards to more!

Very nice perspective, Chashio (: I look forward to seeing what more sketched you've got for us ;D

I love It! Having the drawing accompany the map is a great way for visualization. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by usivius View Post
    I love It! Having the drawing accompany the map is a great way for visualization. Great job.
    Thanks usivius

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Very nice perspective, Chashio (: I look forward to seeing what more sketched you've got for us ;D
    Thanks Daniel, glad you enjoy it. Hopefully I'll get a few in there that aren't just sketches, but that's often what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Great to see you doing some more maps Chashio! Don't worry, only some of us are following the guidelines, and I'm just going all over the place with mine.
    Lovely perspective you've captured in these little sketches and look forwards to more!
    Thank you Greg! It feels good to do more maps again.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I always love seeing your new maps Chashio
    This one offers a very interesting view from both angles.
    and doing the tones canvas in grey to allow for the white water was a good choice.
    Thanks J, and likewise

Just some more sketches for now... these were mostly just an exercise [one-minute timed view/map thumbnails for a warm up] but I'll likely use a number of them for larger maps later. I have an issue with starting with a box and then wandering out of it, which can be good and bad. With the smaller ones I was attempting to curtail that habit and do better about planning compositions within the set space.

Name:	scan374 sg 1minMapSketches.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	100868

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

These make me a very happy camper! Always nice to see your maps; they're always a bit different from most of what I see. More like landscapes than maps ^_^
    Btw: how small are those thumbnails? You're not experiencing a paper shortage, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd Drwg View Post
    These make me a very happy camper! Always nice to see your maps; they're always a bit different from most of what I see. More like landscapes than maps ^_^
    Btw: how small are those thumbnails? You're not experiencing a paper shortage, are you?
    Thanks Blaidd Drwg! Sometimes I feel like they don't fit in around here because they are more like landscapes than maps. I'm happy you like them.
    Hehe They're smaller than my thumbnail, actually... the lines are 1/4 inch apart. I did have a bit of a paper shortage in the first bit of Inktober, and pens, but my best patrons ever [brothers] gifted me a ridiculous number of my favorite sketchbooks and 005 micron pens for my birthday, haha. I just really enjoy working small.

Decided to grab one of those mini thumbnails and do something with it. Enbiggened the one with a title on it and interpreted the marks into an island city of sorts. Just scribbling in some rooftops and buildings based on the original pencil marks.
    Here's some wip pics of it atm... sorry for the image quality.

Name:	Nolun island city wip1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	378.6 KB 
ID:	100876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nolun island city wip.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	364.2 KB 
ID:	100877

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

Whoa what? Is that a city?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast