Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2017 Challenge: Hunters Fall

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Wip November 2017 Challenge: Hunters Fall

Hi everyone,

I decided to tackle my second challenge.

I did feel like I want to craft a moment in history from my Novel's world. And strangely enough, this challenge fell exactly into it. Not with zombies though, it is some other creatures. So, I'm taking option two of the challenge.

And it goes like this:

Many years ago in the mountains to the south on Sambria, a massive rockslide revealed an entrance into the strange yet beautiful Blue Rock Mountains.
    At first, it was thought to be just a crack in the hard rock, but explorers, equipped with enough supplies, ventured into the cave. After a day found three massive sets of doors. Two smaller in size relative to the gigantic middle door.
    This was a great find for them, and though the doors didn't budge under any of their initial attempts to open them, the explorers did feel a sense of triumph to find something that had been lost in time. And so, they left the cave and set up their camp under the five Morning Trees that stood like sentries facing the cave.
    In time a small outpost formed close to the Morning Trees, and a well was dug. With it, the seeds of a small settlement were planted that would become Fort Mire.
    But even as the smaller outer doors were finally opened, revealing rooms and rooms full of weapons, nobody could have guessed what was behind the biggest of the doors.
    Some argued that it should not be opened.

They were right.

(Note: Morning Trees refer to special sort of trees from my Novel, Nights of Sambria. Just so you know )
    Last edited by XCali; 11-13-2017 at 12:11 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Wip Map

Hello,

This is the map so far,

I'm still considering a few things on the drawing side before I go totally digital, so, by all means, throw ideas my way.

For now, it is just the mountains,

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hunters Fall_byOmri.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	100889

Copyright 2017. All Rights Reserved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hunters_Fall_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.52 MB 
ID:	101796  
    Last edited by XCali; 11-28-2017 at 02:28 PM.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

This looks interesting, Omri

Looking forward to seeing it develop

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This looks interesting, Omri

Looking forward to seeing it develop
    If I remember correctly you actually studied in art somewhere?

Anyway, as my drawing skills are mostly self-taught, I would really really reeeeeeally appreciate your thoughts on what I have so far.

(By the way, what are you writing for the NaNoWriMo? )
    Last edited by XCali; 11-07-2017 at 05:46 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

I did one year at art college when I was 17, and I was crap at Life Drawing (when you sit and draw nude models). My saving grace was colour theory. Perfect grades in that saved my bacon! LOL!

I'm really not the best person to guide your drawing - sorry! I can only make appreciative comments when I like something - like anyone else. My best advice right now is to enjoy what you draw. A drawing is nothing without enjoyment.

However, if you're interested in colour...

I could bore you to death

EDIT: NaNoWriMo isn't going so well for me right now, so it looks like I might be writing nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I did one year at art college when I was 17, and I was crap at Life Drawing (when you sit and draw nude models). My saving grace was colour theory. Perfect grades in that saved my bacon! LOL!

I'm really not the best person to guide your drawing - sorry! I can only make appreciative comments when I like something - like anyone else. My best advice right now is to enjoy what you draw. A drawing is nothing without enjoyment.

However, if you're interested in colour...

I could bore you to death

EDIT: NaNoWriMo isn't going so well for me right now, so it looks like I might be writing nothing
    Hehe, well, it is great advice really, to enjoy what you do. So, thanks.

And I might take you up on the color thing. I have a very interesting challenge that looms ahead, and that is these mountains needs a certain color scheme and be able to fit. The Southwestern area of my Sambria map has this whole mountain range that is created with this blue rock(like that deep blue from ice) but it is not cold.

So any ideas on that front is welcome.

---
    Well, writers block is never fun. Most writers would tell a person to write no matter what. But, it is hard sometimes to come up with something nice. Good luck anyway

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Here are more mountains!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Hunters Fall 2_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	100891
    Last edited by XCali; 11-07-2017 at 07:10 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi xCali, I'm glad you've joined this challenge. The story that accompanies your map is really fascinating, and it's off to a good start.

You asked for comments about your drawing, and the main thing I'd say is this: at the moment your mountains look like a cluster of spikes, whereas real-world mountain ranges form in long ridges and chains. There are individual peaks, sure, but they're usually joined by high ground (resulting in long valleys between). Perhaps you could try adding some ridges between some of your mountains. As always, I recommend visiting Google Images or going to a library or something to look at pictures of mountain ranges for inspiration.

Overall it's looking good.

Wingshaw

PS: I really really do intend on joining this challenge. It's so hard to find the time, but I'll try to get a thread started in the next few days...

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Hi xCali, I'm glad you've joined this challenge. The story that accompanies your map is really fascinating, and it's off to a good start.

You asked for comments about your drawing, and the main thing I'd say is this: at the moment your mountains look like a cluster of spikes, whereas real-world mountain ranges form in long ridges and chains. There are individual peaks, sure, but they're usually joined by high ground (resulting in long valleys between). Perhaps you could try adding some ridges between some of your mountains. As always, I recommend visiting Google Images or going to a library or something to look at pictures of mountain ranges for inspiration.

Overall it's looking good.

Wingshaw

PS: I really really do intend on joining this challenge. It's so hard to find the time, but I'll try to get a thread started in the next few days...
    Hehe, thanks.

And I do agree with the mountains thing. I guess the hard part about it is getting shading right when one make attempts at connecting a lot of the mountains. I'll see what I can do.
    I appreciate the feedback.

Good luck with your own idea for this challenge, time is sometimes a big issue with these things. So, I wish you well.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Discuss Planning Phase 1

Hi!

I thought about what Wingshaw said, and so I planned out how I should alter my drawing next. I did this digitally so that I can see what works and what does not BEFORE I actually change the drawing with pencil and eraser.

PLANNED changes:

Name:	Hunters Fall_3_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	100926

Fire away if you have additional ideas for change.

This next one is the initial plans for Fort Mire.

Name:	Planning_Fort Mire_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	52 
Size:	630.4 KB 
ID:	100927

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast