Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** December 2017 Challenge: Peace and Harmony ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** December 2017 Challenge: Peace and Harmony ***

The voting for the November Challenge doesn't end for a few hours yet, but I wanted to get December's Challenge started since we're running a little late. There may be some overlap on the WIP thumbnail pics if someone gets super ambitious and posts a picture before the previous month's voting is done, but it shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway: Your challenge this month, should you choose to accept it, is to create a map showing two or more distinct races or cultures living together in harmony. For example, you could map a city with different districts that interact peacefully; you could map out the Babylon 5 space station; or a dwarven-made mountain city where elves have planted massive trees - the two races create a city of stone and wood spires...

The challenge is - the peaceful co-existence that you're mapping can't be the result of conquest or war. It has to be a genuine attempt to live together in harmony! Other than that, what you map and how is entirely up to you.

This challenge will run until approximately 9PM Pacific time on Sunday, 31 December. After that will be three days of voting, after which the winner will receive a shiny golden compass and a hearty huzzah! from the Guild.

Please don't forget to label your work in progress with the ### Latest WIP ### label.
    Also don't forget to label your thread: December 2017 Challenge: <your title would go here>

Appropriate for this time of the year !

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Well, I've been super busy as of late and haven't had a chance to come on here much let alone get to enter a challenge.

However, when I read this about a city commission I'm about to start (this one):
    "Founded by an Elf and Dwarf who became close friends during a battle long ago. They realized how much each race could benefit from the other, nature and magic with engineering and stone."
    I thought it couldn't be more of a match.

I got accepted for it last week, but because I was busy and we had bits and pieces to discuss first, I'm only just about to make a start. Can I kill two birds with stone and sneak in this challenge with it too?

If not, just you stop me, I might just put up a thread alongside anywho.

Hey, as long as you hadn't actually begun work on the map before the challenge began, I'd say you're good. Looking forward to seeing how you do this!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Hey, as long as you hadn't actually begun work on the map before the challenge began, I'd say you're good. Looking forward to seeing how you do this!
    Wooot, go Diamond! I'll try and get a thread going soon!

And you should probably verify if it is a commission that the other party is good with you sharing it all in this way.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    And you should probably verify if it is a commission that the other party is good with you sharing it all in this way.
    Yeah, don't worry I wouldn't do it if they weren't.

Question: What about a pharmacy company where humans and demons work alongside each other? Would that count? It's definitely the demons trying to co-exist harmoniously with the humans (even though they are MUCH more powerful and get a LOT older) - but most of the humans don't really know that their co-workers are not human, so I am not entirely sure... Though I am not really sure whether I have time to map that out until December 31st o.o it's not really much time... and I still have a few commissions. I probably shouldn't do it... But I would love to...
    The other thing that I would love to map out is an arena... with dragons and humans, because it's a dragon-human-sport But the trouble of time stays. Maybe I'll do it anyway. Maybe I'll try to do it digitally! After all I'll finally have a graphic tablet then and I REALLY want to try out stuff about it...

I don't see why not, Zora. Ultimately it's up to the voters as to what 'qualifies' in the end, but I personally love both ideas.

FYI to everybody: the challenge will end on JANUARY 1ST, 2018 at around 9PM Pacific time, NOT December 31st. So you've all got an extra day.

errr... Will the new challenge start tomorrow?
    We all wish to create, but do we really create?
    What we draw and what we write is part of us.
    No we do not create, we simply discover who we are.
    **My maps have copyrights**

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast