Thread: Ewlah map WIP

Guild Apprentice

Wip Ewlah map WIP

Long, long time since I last posted here. I lost the mapping bug for a few years while having to deal with Real Life(tm) stuff, like paid employment ...

Anyways, I've started working on my maps again, and I'm getting to the stage where I need to start adding landscape labels. I've tried labeling mountain chains and rivers using straight labels, and I've also tried follow-the-path labels to contour the words to the feature - but so far I haven't found anything that works well for me.

Has anyone got any suggestions or examples of maps that manage the labeling of geographical features in a way that is both legible and yet at the same time does not overpower the map with too many words?

A jpeg of the map's current state can be found at this link (warning: 4.6Mb)
    http://rikweb.org.uk/map/2017-11-05-fullmap.jpg

Guild Expert

The map looks awesome Rik, really great! This is one of the best examples I've seen of a fantasy map done in this style.

Can only agree with kacey here, it's looking awesome! Regarding labels, i like to refer to Eduard Imhof's classic article about "Positioning Names on Maps". There is a ton of interesting information on the topic in it. Hope it helps you a bit, and btw. welcome back!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Apprentice

kacey, Abu Lafia - many thanks. I'll check out the Eduard Imhof link now.

... okay. So after a first read-through, there's some obvious things I can do to help me get this job done.

1. Make more space for the labels. In particular there's too many river tributaries on the map, so I can prune a lot of them away.

2. Use serif fonts. Sans-serif may look more modern, but given the background they're being written on, a serif font should help make the words a bit clearer.

3. The Land (Country) labels clearly need to be a lot bigger, and be areal, not position designations. Possibly in a hollow/outline font rather than translucent?

4. All the settlement names need to be repositioned in line with Imhof's advice, particularly in the denser areas. But only do this work after I've got the major mountain chain and region names in place (as areal labels). They should also be less bold and black.

... I think that's enough to keep me busy for a couple of weeks. I can worry about mountain peak and river labels later.
    Last edited by Rik; 11-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Guild Apprentice

... I think I've remembered how to add attachments to a post (fingers crossed).

Work since my last post - for starters no labels yet. But I have cleaned up the rivers, added in maximum extent of cultivations, redrawn the borders and redone the trails between settlements to 1. respect the new borders and cultivations; and 2. not cover up the rivers (which was really annoying me)

I'm torn on the sea colour. A light blue (as in the version attached to the OP) makes clear sense because black labels show up very nicely against light seas. But I love the deep blue - it's so much more Google Earth!

Mr Imhof says no label should cross between sea and land unless absolutely essential. So I'll try light labels over the sea and darker labels over land as an experiment, see how it goes ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171114-base-for-labels.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	101150  

Guild Apprentice

I reckon I'm making some progress with the labelling. All the place names are, well, in place. Now working on the geographical features ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171121-partial.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	329.6 KB 
ID:	101563  

Blog Entries

That looks superb to me. I dont think you need any more advice. After reading your first post my first thought was to go to the finished map section and look for maps by Ravells. He always had superb text on any of his maps. Inkscape is a good tool for putting text on maps as it has a number of really useful controls to it if you can take the time to learn how to use it well.

Guild Apprentice

Hi Redrobes - many thanks!

I checked out Ravells's maps. They are wonderful examplars!