Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Union, a "Points of Light" setting (Continental Map)

Guild Member handsome_unlimited's Avatar

Map Union, a "Points of Light" setting (Continental Map)

I return from my hiatus with a gift for you!

Like a champion of the old times, I leave the comfort and safety of the guild to plunge deep into the darkness and return as even more of a hero, ready to bestow boon upon my admirers. Some might call me a double hero, others might call me an idiot and tell me to get to the point. Here we go:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Continent - Points of Light.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	6.33 MB 
ID:	102646

Now, the astute among you might say that this is just an updated/altered version of a map I had already posted here:
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=37265
    ...and they'd be absolutely right, yeah, fine, its effectively the same Malibu Stacy but with a New Hat.

Details of the New Hat, though:
    -Increased contrast for elevations in a pretty drastic way
    -Ditched hexgrid and added scalebar (hexes were more for my own reference as a DM anyway)
    -Actually marked and labeled major settlements, drew in major trade roads
    -Darkened map to give it a more night-ish feel, and used glow effects on markers to reinforce the "Points of Light" theme
    -Made my logo bigger (because of course I would)

If you're wondering where I've been btw (nobody is thinking it but please go along with the premise), I've been continuing work on an absurdly large megadungeon project that my current game is centered around. Maps will be shared eventually (there are around 200 unique rooms on the main floor), but I won't be posting them until my players have cleared them. It's going to all add up to one giant composite map that I'm (so far) pretty happy with.

Anyway, let me know what you think.
    -HU

Nice job! There is always something special about terrain like this - I'm assuming it's at least partly Wilbur generated? - and I can never get over how fantastic those rivers look. I guess my only complaint would be the slight crispiness and the pixelation of the landmass, coastlines in particular. Even so, a great map!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Excellent map. A great example. I have started a world map myself and have struggled on how to represent the mountains. My 1st attempt isn't nearly as detailed but this will be a good reference. Thanks for posting.

A nice update. I enjoy reading through your posts, they always give me a good chuckle. Look forward to seeing that mega-dungeon too btw.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great map, handsome! I like the shape of the land very much!

Very nice work, HU !

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I love the whole ambiance, nightly, coldish, misty... it adds a lot to the theme... great job on mountains too !

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

As a matter of interest, how long did that take to process in Wilbur? Must've been hours!

I just have to say that I like the shape of the continent- it's believable. Far too often I see fantasy maps where the cartographer has some sort of obsession with making things look "spikey" or "swirly", and it gets old, in addition to looking unrealistic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast