Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inking tools?

Question Inking tools?

Hey guys i was just wandering what type of pens for inking you recommend beacause i dont really know what kinds to get for drawing maps.

Well, I'm no expert at maps, but for almost all my linework in any style I use Micron Pens. They come in different line weights. I typically do a lot of pen/ink/watercolor work, either abstract or mandalas, etc. Hope that helps.

Info Pens or Pixels?

I agree with whisper_my_name, above, about the Micron pens. They are fantastic for anything hand drawn with many different sizes to choose from (if you have the cash). There is slight bleed from Micron's and other pens if the paper and pressure aren't correct, but there isn't a set that won't bleed a little bit. If you want colored inks you should check out pens that you can manually refill, and be sure to note the quality of your inks. As far as digital drawing goes, check out this tutorial: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=3013 and see if this list helps for tools: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=29546 Lastly, if you really want to dive into the digital stuff look here to start: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1407

+1 for the Microns. I’ve tried many different brands of pens for inking (not necessarily maps), but I always seem to go back to these, especially for the finer stuff, like 01 and 005. Also, refilling them with india ink works pretty well if done carefully.

Guild Apprentice

Microns are indeed great and I can't recommend them enough. For a different effect, how about brush inking? I have done it once or twice and it's not as hard as I thought it would be. Lovely smooth lines, never tried it on a map but now i want to.

Quote Originally Posted by nopkin View Post
    +1 for the Microns. I’ve tried many different brands of pens for inking (not necessarily maps), but I always seem to go back to these, especially for the finer stuff, like 01 and 005. Also, refilling them with india ink works pretty well if done carefully.
    Wait, what? You can refill them?!?!
    ~ whisper

Yup, there are a few tutorials on YouTube, just search for "refill micron". Basically, you have to take off the small metal part at the tip using some small pliers or tweezers, fill a small syringe with india ink and inject the ink into the cartridge inside the pen. Then just fit the metal part back. If done carefully, it will be as good as new. It might leak a little in the beginning, but I had no issue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nopkin View Post
    Yup, there are a few tutorials on YouTube, just search for "refill micron". Basically, you have to take off the small metal part at the tip using some small pliers or tweezers, fill a small syringe with india ink and inject the ink into the cartridge inside the pen. Then just fit the metal part back. If done carefully, it will be as good as new. It might leak a little in the beginning, but I had no issue with that.
    I checked out youtube. Mind blown. You just saved me at least 50 bucks a year!!! Thank you!!!
    ~ whisper

You're welcome! Glad I could help.

I've really enjoyed using Staedtler pigment liners for drafting. Same exact type of pen. But a different brand. I see from looking them up they're a bit more expensive. This now makes me consider using Microns just to see the difference. Has anyone done a brand comparison before?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast