Thread: Heimfold - Lestosk (Commission for Runes, the Tabletop RPG) - finished

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default Heimfold - Lestosk (Commission for Runes, the Tabletop RPG) - finished

Alright, this is going smoothly!

This is already the fourth in a series of maps created for Runes, the Tabletop RPG™:
    1. The full world map can be found here.
    2. The second map focused on the Essence Isles in the north, and
    3. the third map zoomed in on the forested peninsula in the northwest: Vaysha Rift.

This map takes a closer look at the country in the central north of the mainland, dominated by a desert with both creamy dunes and gnarly rifts, surrounded by mountains and hills on three sides.

As usual this map was made entirely in Photoshop.

Lestosk_6.jpg

Thoughts? Suggestions? Let 'em come!
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I love the way you've drawn the dune-filled parts of the desert; it's evocative yet avoids causing confusion with more mundane hills. The style with which you filled the seas also just seems to click especially well as a thematic match with the feel of the map border, compass, and place-names.

The Maker's Wood I noticed was lighter on the left side than the right, delineated cleanly by the river; is that just shading or indicative of something more supernatural/symbolic?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Hmm, well I'm not really liking the wall. It goes over the top of mountains and right through forests but I don't see any marks on the mountains where the wall settled into the earth, nor are there any cuts through the trees for the wall to go through. It looks like it is just going right over the tops of the tree branches and looks strange to me. But I LOVE the rest of the map.

I could stare at your mountains all day. The lineart and the softness of the shading, they look absolutely gorgeous. I also really enjoy the sand dunes on this one. The river sits in the landscape very naturally, instead of just being a line painted over the land as you often see, and works wonderfully like that.

The only thing I'm not wild about is the pattern on the ocean. Gives it a strange feeling of restlessness, if that makes any sense.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Again, you are a master of shade !
    I seldom find black and white maps attracting "relief speaking", but here you did a fantastic job !

I like a lot the desert dunes, it gives the feel of an ocean of sand !

I'm less fond of the conjonction between thoses dunes and the pattern for the sea : each one separately are just great, but when they are close one to another, the brain takes a while to makes the difference. Thinking of it, it's perhaps your intention ?

As for the wall, I don't really mind its aspect : for me, you draw it as an "unnatural" element... as a label of a city or a village, and I accept that those labels are not made to really "fit" in the "natural" elements of the map ( forests, moutains, and such)

Anyway, it's a great map !

Edit : I'll have to come back later for rep...