Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan/Feb '18 Lite Challenge: The Forest Gate

Wip Jan/Feb '18 Lite Challenge: The Forest Gate

For this months challenge, Map a Mysterious Entrance, I thought immediately of Stargate the TV series. It always struck me as odd that the planets with the gates on them would just let the team comes through with there weapons. Nobody was protecting the gate on most worlds. I think if you knew people could come through without any warning, you'd have defenses set up.

Anyway, my idea is a village near an old forest, rarely entered, discovered a portal/gate set-up in the nearby forest. This was through chance as the area is rarely traveled, but it looked like the gate hadn't been there all that long. No one new the reason for the gate, or if anyone had come through. The villagers then decided they needed to watch the gate and set defenses. This map is to be a layout of those defenses. The setting is like a D&D Points of Light fantasy setting.

I have a quick sketch of my idea. It may change some as I start building the map.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A_Mysteriuos_Entrance.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	103581

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Interesting beginning. I like the story and agree with you about how worlds didn't really defend their stargate when they knew someone could come through armed to the teeth.

As a long time fan of Stargate, I love this idea, can't wait to see the map. Even the ancient Egyptians were smart enough to bury the gate after they rebelled against Ra.

Welcome to the Challenge elboe.

Wip Wip 2

I have a good start going, with the grid, forest floor, trees and buildings added. For the trees I have used layer fx to shape the trees; drop shadow, inner shadow, inner glow, bevel and emboss, and stroke. When I try to save out as a png or jpg though, I lose the bevel and emboss, inner glow, etc. I have put a screen shot of my psd file for the WIP, I also have a copy showing what the jpg export looks like. If I try to flatten all the layers I get the same issue.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ElboeMysteriousEntranceWIP2a.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	891.4 KB 
ID:	103831 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ElboeMysteriousEntranceWIP2b.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	7.74 MB 
ID:	103832

Oh that looks interesting

I have to admit I can't explain that difference, since I don't know anything about PS, but I hope someone explains it for you soon!

Thanks Mouse. I think I have a work around figured out. I'm going to try to make the trees look better also. And thanks again for posting textures to use, I grabbed the shingles and the grass. That is very helpful, I'll probably age the shingles and the grass has already been scaled and tiled.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Heya elboe
    What version of PS are you using?

Wip Wip 3

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane View Post
    Heya elboe
    What version of PS are you using?
    It's CS5.1 on a Mac.

I was able to create layers out of the fx and that seemed to work. The problem with that is you can't adjust the fx but you can tweak each new layer. I copied and turned off the original layer so the fx settings are saved. I then right click on the fx icon of the layer and select create layers.

I ended up erasing the trees I had and created 3 overlapping layers of more thinly populated trees, with the fx applied to each. Then I created layers out of the fx for each of the 3 layers. So what was 1 layer in the original is now 21 layers.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ElboeMysteriousEntranceWIP3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	7.01 MB 
ID:	103888

Wip Wip 4

A quick update with my little bit of progress today. I added the dirt paths and gravel road.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ElboeMysteriousEntranceWIP4.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	7.80 MB 
ID:	103937

In case you need a Stargate, I have one in my Art file. Not sure who made it.

Name:	76C_stargate_alone.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	103940

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast