Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: *** February 2018 Challenge: Elevator Pitch Prophecies ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** February 2018 Challenge: Elevator Pitch Prophecies ***

I thought we'd try something a little different this time around. An elevator pitch, for those unaware of it's meaning, is a short sales pitch. It gets its name because it's generally short enough to convey the gist of the idea in a powerful way in the time it takes to ride in an elevator.

And prophecies? We all know what those are, but some are long and convoluted.

The idea this month is to take a short, bite-sized prophecy, generated from this handy donjon table: http://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/random/#type=Prophecy

...And create a map out of it. The way you interpret the prophecy to make a map is entirely up to you, as is the subject matter, style of map, etc etc. You could illustrate a hero's journey to fulfill the prophecy, or a map of key locations from the prophecy, or the mad prophet's own illustrated notes - the original version of the prophecy. Whatever you want. It just has to be clear, with a little thought from the observer, how the prophecy you pick relates to the map. VERY MINOR alterations to the wording of the prophecy are okay - capitalizing or de-capitalizing a letter, adding a comma, etc.

Unlike past Challenges where we've limited you to one 'roll on the table', you can re-roll as many times as you want to get a result you like.

This challenge will run until around 9PM Pacific time on Wednesday February 28. Voting will last three days, and the winner gets either a Golden Compass, a juicy steak dinner, or a giant spider, whichever I happen to be in the mood for.

As usual, don't forget this stuff:

• Title your threads "February 2018 Challenge: << your title here >>
    • Make sure you use the ### Lates WIP ### tag prefacing each of your work-in-progress pictures. There is a button for that in your posting toolbar.
    • Anyone at all is welcome to enter this challenge.
    • Your entry map cannot have been started prior to the opening of this challenge. No recycling old unfinished maps, etc.
    Last edited by Diamond; 02-04-2018 at 02:09 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Ooh, I always love these random fantasy generator type ones, D! I really wanted to join in last month, so definitely will try this month.

Oooh! Great idea! Just yesterday I was itching to draw a map, and this sounds really fun!

Not sure I get the whole elevator pitch part of this, but you basically take the one line prophecy and make a map based on it, is that it? Sounds like fun.

That is a pretty cool generator. I'm going to put this in my bookmarks. So many strange ideas.

Oh my. I just took a quick peek at that generator and saw like three different prophecies that I could combine into a single adventure hook. Can we combine a few or are we limited to a single prophecy?

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Haven't made a map in about 5 years - but I think I'm ready again. I'm in !

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Not sure I get the whole elevator pitch part of this, but you basically take the one line prophecy and make a map based on it, is that it? Sounds like fun.
    Elevator pitch - because they're all rather short and to the point. Also because 'Elevator Pitch Prophecies' sounds cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    Oh my. I just took a quick peek at that generator and saw like three different prophecies that I could combine into a single adventure hook. Can we combine a few or are we limited to a single prophecy?

GW
    I don't see why not. As long as you clearly list somewhere in your thread what they are. I may combine two of them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RjBeals
    Haven't made a map in about 5 years - but I think I'm ready again. I'm in !
    Yay! Haven't seen you around here in a long time....

Guild Apprentice

Sounds super fun! I'm in!

Cool. Will have to see if I can make some time to participate this month.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast