Thread: Anzorae

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Blog Entries

Wip Anzorae

I've been working on this map for a while now. After spending some time on these forums, I went back and fixed some misbehaving rivers. I hoping that most of my "fixes" are subtle. Can you spot them?

The main roads got too wide but trying to fix them was making it worse, so I decided to just let those ride.

This is my first attempt at really trying to hand-letter the locations with a stylized "font". I'm not sure where I should go from here. Border? Legend?

I have no clue how to figure the scale of the this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Anzorae-Town-ed.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	552.3 KB 
ID:	106561

If you're curious to see the earlier version, it's on my blog here: https://designer-geek.com/2018/03/28/anzorae-map/ It also has some descriptions for the locations.
    Last edited by HeatherB; 04-22-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added link to earlier version

Hi Heather, this is a lovely map. Love the style! A border would certainly finish it off, and perhaps a compass too?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

This is truly a beautiful map! As far as scale goes, if you have any idea of how long you want it to take for someone to get from one given place to another, (eg. three days from Saleece to Hargth) there's another post on here that talks about the distance someone can travel by a horse, a wagon, on foot, and a number of similar things. That could be a place to start.

A super cute map, Heather ! I always love this 'naive' (in the good way !!) style : so charming !
    I'm not sure about a border, personally, except if you have enough place around the map to be far enough from the "waves". But a compass and a scale would be great if you feel it ! Try with a simple pencil first and take a step back to check the visual impact : you would not break the balance you already have

Guild Apprentice

Really a very nice map. Well colored and balanced.
    It makes me happy!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Blog Entries

Map

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    A super cute map, Heather ! I always love this 'naive' (in the good way !!) style : so charming !
    I'm not sure about a border, personally, except if you have enough place around the map to be far enough from the "waves". But a compass and a scale would be great if you feel it ! Try with a simple pencil first and take a step back to check the visual impact : you would not break the balance you already have
    I'm good with "naive". These are maps I'm doing for fun and the enjoyment of the creation process and aren't meant to be realistic nor serious.

If by the border, you're referring to the "water" around the continent, I agree that it wasn't really working. Beyond the waves going every which way, the "shallows" are too contrast-y to the rest of the map. I did take the scanned version and removed of the waves, so they're less distracting now. If I invest in Photoshop, I might see what I can do to soften the ocean border.

EDIT: Rereading this, I realize now that you were talking about a page border, not the water around continent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anzorae-cropped.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	657.2 KB 
ID:	111376

As to the compass, I know it would be very useful on ALL of my maps. I've been avoiding that element. I'm working my way towards it.
    Last edited by HeatherB; 11-10-2018 at 06:52 PM.