Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** May 2018 Challenge: Create a Set of Stamps ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** May 2018 Challenge: Create a Set of Stamps ***

This month's challenge comes to us courtesy of ChickPea:

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea
    There are all sorts of stamps showing maps throughout the world, take a look here. The challenge is simply to create your own set of stamps with a map theme. I'd suggest four stamps in the set, but it's up you. It should be more than one, anyway. The stamps can be of a real world place, or they can be of a fictional/imaginary realm, but they should be of different monetary values, and look like they're part of the same set.

For example, each stamp could show a different region within a country. Or, you could have one stamp showing a country map, then another with a city map, and perhaps a third with a famous building. Bonus points for working in some world-building info, like who's the current ruler, or what trade/exports the area has etc etc.

If you've ever had a hankering to redo the postage stamps in your country, or to create some Middle Earth or Minecraft-themed stamps, now's your chance!
    Nothing else to add, really, except the usual:

1) Title your thread like this: May 2018 Challenge: <<your title goes here>>

2) Make sure you use the ### Latest WIP ### tag before each of your work-in-progress pictures. If you don't, your entry may not show up when it comes time to vote...

3) Your entry cannot have been started prior to the opening of this challenge.

The challenge will run until around 9PM Pacific time on Thursday 31 May. The winner gets a shiny blob of golden pixels under their name, and another bucket of envy-drool from their peers.

Go forth and create stamps!

This sounds like a bit of fun, I'll have a crack...
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Ooh, what a fun concept!

I sold my stamp "collection" not too long ago and I still got the scans.
    I had only two with maps on them. Fitting a map on a stamp is not easy.

This one sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!

I might not have the time to do it, though - unfortunately...

Hehe that's fun
    Last edited by Vobland; 05-04-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Ok. So, hypothetically, if I found a "hidden" wonder, an ancient temple or some such, and there were some seriously bad people searching for that wonder to halt/fulfill a prophecy that could have devastating consequences if it did or did not come to pass and I drew a map of /to that wonder in invisible ink on a set of postage stamps I put on a parcel to a colleague who had the ability/skills to thwart the baddies, think Matthew Reilly' s Jack West Jnr novels, would that meet the criteria of the challenge?
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Not sure if I'll have time to enter this one. But I just thought of an interesting idea for it (and an interesting story thread I might have to include along with it)

However, should we stick to the same style/size as real world stamps? Or can we make our stamps in very different shape/style to regular stamps?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    Ok. So, hypothetically, if I found a "hidden" wonder, an ancient temple or some such, and there were some seriously bad people searching for that wonder to halt/fulfill a prophecy that could have devastating consequences if it did or did not come to pass and I drew a map of /to that wonder in invisible ink on a set of postage stamps I put on a parcel to a colleague who had the ability/skills to thwart the baddies, think Matthew Reilly' s Jack West Jnr novels, would that meet the criteria of the challenge?
    I think that's fine, and it's actually a really neat idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    Not sure if I'll have time to enter this one. But I just thought of an interesting idea for it (and an interesting story thread I might have to include along with it)

However, should we stick to the same style/size as real world stamps? Or can we make our stamps in very different shape/style to regular stamps?
    The stamps can look however you want them to look. You're not constrained by real-world postage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post

I was actually hoping people would let their imaginations go wild, and create something a little unusual, so I'm curious to see what you do.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast