Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May 2018 Challenge: Stamps from the Grand Thordar Republic

Default May 2018 Challenge: Stamps from the Grand Thordar Republic

This one sounds like fun!

This is a set of stamps from the Grand Thordar Republic.

Not sure how they will work out, but the idea is to put an important building and map of it's location in each stamp - possibly with an overview of the Republic on the highest denomination stamp.

I'm happy with the parchment background, just not sure whether I'm going to use any colour, or stick with the lines...

Spent ages trying to get the ink to bleed into the paper - I may tone down this effect a bit though as I think it may be a bit too much.

T

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thordar.png 
Views:	161 
Size:	7.56 MB 
ID:	106817

A superb start, Tonquani ! I'm eager to see the following steps !
    The ink bleed is really well done (and it's not an easy thing !) : if you don't mind, I would be happy to know your technique, since it's one of the best effect I saw for this

Edit : Ops, realising it's maybe not something I should ask right now : my purpose it's obviously not to use your technique for the challenge, just to learn something useful for some other projects. Hope you'll forgive my awkwardness ! ^^'
    Last edited by MistyBeee; 05-05-2018 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    A superb start, Tonquani ! I'm eager to see the following steps !
    The ink bleed is really well done (and it's not an easy thing !) : if you don't mind, I would be happy to know your technique, since it's one of the best effect I saw for this

Edit : Ops, realising it's maybe not something I should ask right now : my purpose it's obviously not to use your technique for the challenge, just to learn something useful for some other projects. Hope you'll forgive my awkwardness ! ^^'
    Hi Misty, no problems, I'm not one to keep a secret anyway

I'm using Gimp, so basically I draw using a solid tool (pencil, or solid fill) so that what you want to bleed has crisp edges. I then select either by colour or using the magic wand so that I have only selected exactly what I want to bleed. I then go to select -> distort, and use very small values for everything. The values you use obviously depend on the size and resolution of what you are bleeding. I then open a new layer, fill the distorted selection and Delete the original layer. I played about with distort values for about an hour before settling on what I thought was best. The first value in the distort box I put at 60, and 1 or 2 for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    Hi Misty, no problems, I'm not one to keep a secret anyway

I'm using Gimp, so basically I draw using a solid tool (pencil, or solid fill) so that what you want to bleed has crisp edges. I then select either by colour or using the magic wand so that I have only selected exactly what I want to bleed. I then go to select -> distort, and use very small values for everything. The values you use obviously depend on the size and resolution of what you are bleeding. I then open a new layer, fill the distorted selection and Delete the original layer. I played about with distort values for about an hour before settling on what I thought was best. The first value in the distort box I put at 60, and 1 or 2 for the rest.
    Thanks a lot Tonquani !!
    I'm a Photoshop user but the tools are pretty similar. I'll try to transpose the technique and see if I can adapt it

These are looking great. I love that the stamp edges look like they've actually been torn apart. Interested to see what you do next
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I very much like the building sketch. I have a feeling your final product is going to be amazing and I'm looking forward to watching it develop.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

This has been a bit slow due to my current work situation potentially coming to an end...

Anyway, a small update - I have basically just done a bit more work on the frame.

The castle has gone for the moment, as I am busy rethinking how to do the main internal part of the stamps, possibly a pic of an important building, along with either a building plan, or a map of it's locations and surrounds. We will see...

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	44 
Size:	7.87 MB 
ID:	106999

Due to work, this has been on the backburner for a while, but I've finally found some time to get a bit of drawing done...

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	89 
Size:	8.21 MB 
ID:	107177

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Nice! The cathedral is awesome!

Definitely having a great pleasure to see this one progressing. The cathedral is fantastic but I think I prefer the Castle of St John. I wonder how/if you'll add the maps !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast