Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slumbering Ocean

Default Slumbering Ocean

Ugh, I was going to be heading to bed already, but this didn't leave me alone until I finished it.

This is just a random practice map that I started months ago and almost completely forgot about. I found it again when organizing my files and folders a couple of weeks back, and decided to go on and get it finished, as I have not gotten any mapping done in ages.

I honestly have nothing to really say about this one, content wise, since it doesn't really connect to anything. Just something I cooked up as I went along, so don't expect any deep worldbuilding to go along with it. It was mainly a style test, as I wanted to try something a bit different than my usual.

And... um.... peace out and stuff. I really need to get some sleep now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TSO_fin_CG.jpg 
Views:	1678 
Size:	8.44 MB 
ID:	107756
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Very cool! the water detail alone is amazing.

Hey Kelleri, it's looking great, and unbelievably bright.. I like the shape of the coastline and the palette a lot. The labelling, icons and border look really neat and fit the overall atmosphere very well. For the mountains, did you use something like a "cartoonize" filter (it's called that in gimp at least)? They look pretty cool that way. I'm always happy to see some new work from you!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Expert

It looks really nice Kelleri, I like this brighter color scheme and the coast line is great. Definitely one for the inspiration folder, I would love to know how you made those mountains.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You know what? I freaking LOVE your maps. This is simple, clean, and glorious. I love the border, the way you did the nation names, your naming style, beautiful city icons, the list continues.

Two thumbs up from me. Right into my inspiration folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Hey Kelleri, it's looking great, and unbelievably bright.. I like the shape of the coastline and the palette a lot. The labelling, icons and border look really neat and fit the overall atmosphere very well. For the mountains, did you use something like a "cartoonize" filter (it's called that in gimp at least)? They look pretty cool that way. I'm always happy to see some new work from you!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It looks really nice Kelleri, I like this brighter color scheme and the coast line is great. Definitely one for the inspiration folder, I would love to know how you made those mountains.
    Thanks so much, guys! Look at me, I'm slowly emerging from the darkness As for the mountains, Abu guessed it partially right, although it was a bit more complicated than that.
    The mountains you see are the results of a relief created with a technique heavily inspired by both Tear's Saderan tutorial and this wonderful little thing I stumbled across a while back. The resulting relief has then been run thorough various PS filters, unfortunately way too many for me to remember them all by this point. There are multiple copies of the same landmass there, laid over each other with different Blending modes and masked here and there... All in all a very time-consuming style and you never quite know what you're going to end up with, but that's what makes it fun!

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Very cool! the water detail alone is amazing.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You know what? I freaking LOVE your maps. This is simple, clean, and glorious. I love the border, the way you did the nation names, your naming style, beautiful city icons, the list continues.

Two thumbs up from me. Right into my inspiration folder.
    Thanks, D! So glad you like it! Your comment made my day.
    Last edited by Kellerica; 06-14-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

You really have a knack for coastlines and those signature mountains are the bomb ! Add your sea pattern and here goes a wonderful map !

This is brilliant, Kelleri ! I love the coastlines, the general composition and the choice of colors!

No question, I am a fan of your work Kell
    This one doesn't disappoint either.
    I really like ringing the Silver Isles as the "center" of the map.
    You make a lot of subtle and good choices in many of the things you do in your maps.
    The weathering, aging, worn out bits and faded lines at various points...
    it all comes together to make really splendid maps. Nods. Yep.

Blog Entries

Beautiful! I'll chime in on the mountains looking fantastic too! The overall layout is also really interesting with the central sea ringed by land there is so much potential history suggested even without doing any deep world building just in the setup and design.

Also, your naming is fantastic, I always struggle with naming places
    Mapping blog, my maps mixed with the maps of many other people: https://oldearthmapping.tumblr.com
    Avatar by the fantastic Brian Farrar: https://artblaster.tumblr.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast