Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** August 2018 Challenge: The Passage of Time ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** August 2018 Challenge: The Passage of Time ***

I think the last time this particular challenge was run was September of 2009, so I figure enough time has passed for us to do it again. Your challenge this month is to show the effects of time on something. The style, area, subject, layout, etc is up to you. You can do one map or multiple side-by-side maps. The only restriction is that you have to clearly show the element of time passing in some way. Here are some suggestions Ascension had way back when:

- You could show the various additions to a castle and how it grows (structure mapping).
    - You could show how deep the dwarves have dug their caves over time (dungeon mapping).
    - You could do multiple maps that shows a transition from village to city (town mapping).
    - You could show the travels of some particular hero and the battles he fought (regional mapping).
    - You could show the extent of the Mongol Horde over various decades (continent mapping).
    - You could show the effects of terraforming a planet or the effects of global warming on ours (planet mapping).
    - You could show the voyage of the Enterprise and the regions they discover (Galaxy mapping).

As always, don't forget to:

1) Title your thread like so: August 2018 Challenge: <<your title here>>

2) Use the WIP tag (there's a button for it in the toolbar) in front of every work-in-progress pic you post.

If you're new to the forums, jump right in, the more the mappier. Any questions or concerns, ask away. This challenge will end on or about the 31st of August. I will be on vacation the last week of the month and the first week of September, so Ilanthar has gladly agreed to step in and wrap this month's challenge up and start up next month's, so be aware the deadline may be a bit different than usual as he's in a different time zone.

This month's winner gets a magnificent Golden Compass of Mapping +1, and yet another bucket of envy-drool from everyone else.

That is really cool idea for a challange map. I would love to participate, but again i don't think i will find time. I have to remember that challange for later though.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Hmm.. Great idea. Ive been unactive for some time, so I might ease back in with this... Hope there'll be many different, tasty, cracky entries.

I had an idea for a map and it fit perfectly with this challenge. Good timing.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    I had an idea for a map and it fit perfectly with this challenge. Good timing.
    We aim to please.

I also want to try something for this I think. I can already tell the scope to my idea may be too big though, as per usual, but I'll see if I can edit it down to something manageable.

Only a couple of days left, barely time for someone to trace over the animated image on this one: https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...a-on-the-padma

Having some way to do the split thing as on https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...-kerala-floods would be nice for presenting some maps.
    Last edited by waldronate; 08-28-2018 at 02:48 AM.

By Diamond
    If you're new to the forums, jump right in, the more the mappier. Any questions or concerns, ask away. This challenge will end on or about the 31st of August. I will be on vacation the last week of the month and the first week of September, so Ilanthar has gladly agreed to step in and wrap this month's challenge up and start up next month's, so be aware the deadline may be a bit different than usual as he's in a different time zone.
    In case you're wondering...
    AND as a reminder...

I will end the challenge around noon GMT saturday (or 8 am at GMT -4). So you'll have some more time to polish your mappy jewel if needed .

Question: can I submit multiple images, or do the maps all have to be in one file?

Hey Ares, it should be one image. The thumbnail scraper will only pick up one image and that's what people tend to go by when voting. You can, if you want, combine your images into one big image, but you may run into file size limitations if it's massive (you're allowed about 8mb for a jpg, IIRC.)
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast