Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: August 2018 Challenge: Istia Timeline

Wip August 2018 Challenge: Istia Timeline

Ok guys, we're the 18th of August and I'm just too sad when I see how empty this challenge room is.
    Falconius is the bravest map maker here, who made such a great work, but will we let him alone ? We shouldn't. And... he asked for challengers, and someone had to answer, even in a busy and warm month

So... Here we are. A new part of my world, and a new experimental map. My purpose is to make something as quick as possible, and to work both Gothic style and colors, which should be useful for some of my current commissions ^^.
    This should show you the changes which happened in a pretty small country called Istia in my world. Many wars, magical disasters and natural cataclysms changed Istia from a peaceful forested land connected to the continent to a lonely island in the middle of the giant Inner Sea. I'll probably detail the story a little more later, but... it's late and the delicious smell of a tomato pie is climbing the stairs from the kitchen to my office in the second floor, making my brain constantly asking : "what are you doing here ? go downstairs immediately !". Bad for concentration.

For this map, I decided to start with borders and ornaments : there is a hidden and ugly sketch for the guideline, so I already calculated most of the sizes for the 8 maps and the timeline, but I don't know yet for the title. We'll see. As usual for challenges, I'll just see where the map wants to go
    As the map is for my own world, it will be in French this time, hoping it's ok for you. I can obviously make translations if you want !

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IstiaTimeline_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	446.3 KB 
ID:	109615

Hope you'll enjoy !

Yay! Thank you so much for joining. Now I really have to step up.

This looks promising. I'm looking forward to your next WIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Yay! Thank you so much for joining. Now I really have to step up.
    Hehe, yes you have ! Don't give up !!

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
    This looks promising. I'm looking forward to your next WIP.
    Thanks a lot, Neyasha !

=
    To admins or knowing-people : I made a mistake in the thread name : it should be "Istia" and not "Istila" : is there a way to edit it ?

By MistyBeee
    To admins or knowing-people : I made a mistake in the thread name : it should be "Istia" and not "Istila" : is there a way to edit it ?
    Done! And waiting forward to see what wonders you plan to unveil.

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Done! And waiting forward to see what wonders you plan to unveil.
    Thanks a lot ! It was a pain for my eyes ! ^^

=
    Just a few edits and additions (but I have a long evening to come !) for the frame and the timeline itself. We start to see the Istian history, marked by the three great wars which caused the magic turning wild.
    In the First Era, Istia is a kingdom being quickly invaded by the giant Empire of Luvao. From the South, Thard tries to put one foot on Luvao's territory and conquer the South of Istia. Istia is one of the fields of the War of the Keepers, in -8000 (dates are marked from the Zero Year for convenience), which ends with Thard being cursed and Luvao defeated.
    After the war, Istia rejects the Empire's laws and system and adopts the laws of the Free Tribes, the Deleren. The land knows a long and peaceful age. However, from -5000, a big series of famines, epidemics and natural disasters occurs, and Istia is about to die. In the Northeast, a new Empire was formed in the last centuries : Andyr is based on magic, exploitation of magic, usage of magic... and comes in Istia with food, magic solutions for illness and disasters (if you want my opinion, Andyr wanted Istia and caused the disasters, planning to be cheered as a saviour...). Istia becomes a part of the Empire of Andyr but is forced to exploit magic, even if wild and unstable in this part of the world...
    A new war comes in -4300, this time between Andyr and Thard. The magic, going wild and uncontrollable, plays for Thard and Andyr is destroyed. But the magic can't be stopped and the whole North becomes unstable : Istia is almost inhabitable : earthquakes, tidal waves, storms... Istia start to collapse.
    It takes centuries for nature to calm down. Around -2800, Istia is now an island, stable enough to let humans prosper and create a new country : Aristia. Things turn pretty well on the island, life is sweet and easy, and the country knows a golden age circa -600.
    But from -500, a new series of disasters comes. Aristia keeps the fear from its history, and people turn mad, requiring solutions. A civil war starts in -300 and don't stop : Istian people reject magic as a bad thing, breaking once again the balance between magic and land... But the whole world is mad, war is everywhere, magic is wild again... No one keeps the memory of how the war ended : the Zero Year war destroys the memory of all humans. When they wake up, the nature is calm, the magic docile and sweet... It's the Age of the Great Oblivion.
    With centuries, some parts of the memory are regained. Istia found its name again and becomes a new kingdom. Some minor tension sometimes occurs, but Istia is now a prosper land, a commercial crossroads in the big Inner Sea.
    We're now in 1056, and Thard offered to the world an invaluable gift. The giant curse Thard got in -8000 had a setback and protected it from the Great Oblivion : Thard is the only country which kept memories, books, archives from what happened before the Zero Year. As an offer of peace and good will, Thard offered to Istia some archives redrawing its past, making possible this document.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	IstiaTimeline_WIP02_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	577.6 KB 
ID:	109666

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Wow, this is a great concept! As usual, your borders are amazing, and I really like that each entry has its own style of banner/scroll at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Wow, this is a great concept! As usual, your borders are amazing, and I really like that each entry has its own style of banner/scroll at the top.
    Thank you so much, Aeshnidae ! And yeah... I already felt bad because I duplicated the borders, so I couldn't do it with scrolls ! ^^

=
    Remember me saying "as fast as possible" ? Did you laughted ? Well... you should have...
    Today's progress, hoping you'll love it... As usual when I work on my own world, it get out of control !

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	IstiaTimeline_WIP03_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	650.3 KB 
ID:	109684

But now Ihave to make a pause as I'm going to travel for the next 3 days. First break since... Christmas, I think ?

Enjoy your break Misty!

... oh yes, and just by the way... this is looking absolutely amazing! Looking forward to seeing it finished!

It's fantastic, Beee.
    Yup, nothing else to add.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast