Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Seventeen Major Dominions of Middle Wyrmenwaerve

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default The Seventeen Major Dominions of Middle Wyrmenwaerve

Oh, look. A map.

Yeah, so this one has some portraits in it. And some "crests" or whatever you'd call them. This is because sometimes I like to do other stuff than cartography in Photoshop, and I thought I'd try incorporating that into a map.

Since I don't actually know how to draw, well, anything, and instead of learning how to, through the years, I've come up with my own personal technique of being creative; it's called "borrowing" from the internet. I search various image resources (mostly Google Images) and... yeah, I steal the images I like. Then I rework them heavily, until I get what I want for my ideas, and I sort of mash it all together. Whether or not this results in something that is actually interesting and nice to look at, that's up to you. Now, I know I should credit the people whose work I've used, but to be fair, that would be practically impossible.

The portraits are also from various sources. One is of an old school mate of mine, one is a Danish singer, a couple are random people on the internet, and a few are drawings of people that don't exist. One of the things I do besides maps, is take photos of real people and alter them in various ways. I found a application called FX Cartoonizer, which, you guessed it, makes cartoon-ish versions of images. The app itself is absolute garbage: filled with bugs, crashes randomly, has few and only terrible features like adding cheap clipart to images, saves only to low-quality jpgs. But the filters it applies to photos does produce (at least to me) some interesting results. For example:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portrait09.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	110101

The land in the map itself is also a product of this process. A cutting and pasting of actual Earth (the source is shadedreliefarchive.com, I think, though I can't remember) and run through a filter in Photoshop (again, I don't actually remember which).
    Whether any of this actually looks cool, you tell me.

Also, I had to upload a medium-quality jpg version of the map to get below the size limit. The maximum quality jpg is 60mb. So the map might not look super crisp.

Anyway, enjoy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WyrmenwaerveX.jpg 
Views:	1528 
Size:	13.41 MB 
ID:	110100  
    Last edited by Daelin; 09-13-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Holy crap. Man, no-one does a map like you. The mountain reliefs look absolutely incredible, and as always I admire your coastlines. I always enjoy looking at your Photoshop work, and the portraits are a nice addition to the map. As someone who can't draw people or places to save my life, I can relate…

Yet another amazing map with that unique Daelin flavor - you know I love it, don't you?
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

I LOVE the portraits! It gives so much immersion to the map. I simply adore the font you used... Might I have the name?
    There is one thing that tickles me, however... I find it a bit odd that the shores are darker than the deeps of the ocean, but that's a geography detail. The overall texture looks amazing. Incredible map! So much work in it, I can feel it thousands of miles away!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    ...you know I love it, don't you?
    ... yes...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    I simply adore the font you used... Might I have the name? ... the shores are darker than the deeps of the ocean... Incredible map! ...
    Absolutely: Kallamar
    And as to the shores, I hadn't really thought of that relationship. The dark glow is to emphasize the blurry blue "wave" lines. And thanks!

Blog Entries

This map is stunning, Daelin. Love it. And I love how you've done the portraits. They look great.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wooooow. That's my favorite one of yours yet. I think I say that every time, and it's true every time. Mimine's right, the portraits add a whole 'nother depth to this thing. I feel like I want to abandon my own conworld now and develop lore for yours instead!

Wow, this one looks spectacular. I love what you did with the sea here : it works very well

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    This map is stunning, Daelin.
    Yayaya.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's my favorite one of yours yet. ... I feel like I want to abandon my own conworld now and develop lore for yours instead!
    Oh, stop it, you. And that would be... fffascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Wow, this one looks spectacular.
    Cool beans.

I recognize more the earth sources on this one, for some reason. Definitely one of your maps, your style is so specific (and great) Daelin .
    And as usual, I love your heraldry/logo designs .

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I really like this, fantastic job!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast