Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Village of Arningen

Default Village of Arningen

The village of Arningen is located of a small lateral valley to the northeast of the main town of [ still no damn name argh! ] It's a relatively prosperous and large village, the centre of a parish with a fairly elaborate fortified church, and the location of a large monastic grange owned by the monastery at [town name missing]. The village is laid out along a wide main road, with the church and the grange at each end. To the north, there are vineyards, mostly owned by the monastery, which are the reason for Arningen's prosperity.

As i felt more like it this time, the map has got a proper border, unlike Karnberg. As a design for that border i used a late medieval carved wood pattern from a bavarian church (Church of Schaftlach, western gallery, built 1490-99, image here)

The drawing was done using a HB pencil and watercolours.

...and then there's the link for the WIP thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	7.66 MB 
ID:	112481

Hope you like it, more of these will come soon/in a while/whenever i have time
    Last edited by Chlodowech; 01-06-2019 at 11:02 AM.

I love it ! A question, have you considered drawing a village less organized ? Your cities are awesome and, while I know it would be much more difficult, I'd love to see some chaotic city building by your hand

How would you define 'chaotic'? More dense, or just more irregular shapes, or something that i haven't thought of at all yet?

What i'm doing at the moment is, although developing a fictional region, reconstructing an authentic late medieval southern German style, down to all details, concerning both stone and wooden house construction, settlement layout, land use, institutions and so on. There will be less regular settlements as well - Arningen is a planned out 'colonization' village - like a mining town in decline at the foot of the mountain ridge (which hasn't got a name either - i'm so bad at inventing names), which will be quite chaotic.

Other than that, i've been thinking about drawing a actual fantasy city here and then. What i wanna definitely avoid is just combining existing styles and calling it fantasy, so if i work on something like that, it'll start with a ton of concepts for styles and such.

Anyway, glad that you like this one, and i hope i managed to answer your question.

What I meant was something less planned in its construction with houses less ordinated and poorly planned city grid. But all your ideas are things I'm eager to see

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Great as usual and I always love those trees and shadows

Another beauty! Can't rep you again so soon, but love it nonetheless!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Superb, as always ! I especially love how you perfectly suggested the forest. The church mede me think about the fortified church of Hunawihr, one of my favorite place ^^

Excellent, as per usual .
    Since we can have demands , I'd be curious to see a coloured one.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Fantastic work ! as always : so precise, so "right" and with your special touch...

Very good tones, and nice house designs! I just finished a quick commission 3D sculpt of a tudor house, but i'd love to get inspiration from your models for a few future pieces!
    https://sketchfab.com/models/5a25232...b05f90f77cba9b

Actually, if you have anything more tudor-y to share i'd be very interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast