Thread: Atlas Elyden #45 - Cyhlagharr

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default Atlas Elyden #45 - Cyhlagharr

A key/legend to the map can be found here.

Here's the latest map for the Atlas Elyden, detailing the Sovereignty of Cyhlagharr - a nation of oghur (ogre) slavers and pirates!
    __________________________________________________ ______

Located in northern Sammaea, to the west of Parthis, Cyhlagharr is the only known nation of oghurs. It is a harsh, if beautiful land divided in two - rocky highlands in the north and dry plains in the south - though the Atramenta pervades it all - indeed, Cyhlagharr is known for its many birth-defects, including hydrocephaly and cyclocephaly, particularly in the south. Those so-afflicted may rise to positions of power, where they are known as apostles, indicating their loyalty to king Acamas, with some amongst them becoming Atramentists, known as disciples - the few who are allowed to practice the Art without being persecuted. Cyclocephalic oghurs are generally kept as slaves that rank little-higher than beast of burden.

Cyhlagharr is a land steeped in blood and warfare, and its people are likewise tough. They are renowned slavers and in their borders are in flux as their armies battle with their neighbours. In addition to maintaining several slave-breeding centres, where slaver-princes travel to periodically, they also raid lands around the Inner Sea for fresh blood. Most-commonly attacked is Thrace, though sea raids along smaller coastal settlements in Mechabet and Eruto are also common.

They venerate a mysterious deity known as Ishata whose domains include fertility and warfare - both of which are traits the oghurs hold in regard. They are aggressive with each other and their settlements welcome competition, seasonally sending champions to their neighbours to participate in ritual duels; a remnant of old Oghur culture that extends to the widespread autocratic kratocracies that exist within clands.

__________________________________________________ _______

This is available to use as per the CC licence on the image itself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cyhlagharr facts.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	442.3 KB 
ID:	116369 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cyhlagharr - low-res.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	5.28 MB 
ID:	116368
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 07-01-2019 at 01:32 AM.

I'm amazed by the grade of detail you put in your maps. They take me back to my childhood when I could be looking at atlases for hours and imagine how the places might look.
    „The Road goes ever on and on
    Down from the door where it began
    Now far ahead the Road has gone
    And I must follow if I can“

– Bilbo Baggins

Quote Originally Posted by vanScoota View Post
    I'm amazed by the grade of detail you put in your maps. They take me back to my childhood when I could be looking at atlases for hours and imagine how the places might look.
    Yeah, i think it;s my love of atlases that inadvertently led to this project. I love buying them and even though I may not read them that often, even just being surrounded by them helps inspire me to carry on working even if I might not feel like it at the time.

Your atlas is gonna be the best of all, vorro . I love this one, mainly because I really like this kind of land shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Your atlas is gonna be the best of all, vorro . I love this one, mainly because I really like this kind of land shapes.
    Thanks! yeah, the peninsula makes for a more interesting coastline than some of my other maps.

Working on a world atlas has had some 'challenges', one of the strangest ones being that since the world map is already made, some of the maps tend to have boring coastlines. I'm working on making the new maps have more interesting coastlines.

Always nice to see another addition to this ongoing worldbuilding project. Your commitment to this project is inspiring.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Dam, I love your atlas style.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Always nice to see another addition to this ongoing worldbuilding project. Your commitment to this project is inspiring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodofMoxie View Post
    Dam, I love your atlas style.
    Thank you both for the encouraging words!