Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A map of space

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default A map of space

Hi.

I cannot speak for you guys, but occasionally, when I dabble with this nerdiest of hobbies of ours, I stop and ponder what it is I am truly creating in that moment. Most times, I come to the conclusion that that thing is not a map. It is supposed to be a map. But, it is not really a map. You certainly cannot navigate by it, though that is what maps are for, right - guiding you from A to B? But then, I am struck with a grand revelation: I do not make maps to help me, or anyone, find the way. I make maps to build worlds. To create places. Places that do not exist, except for in my imagination. To manifest those abstract places into concrete form.

And so, behold, for I am the great Planet Maker:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Space_Map_1.jpg 
Views:	858 
Size:	9.14 MB 
ID:	120992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Space_Map_2.jpg 
Views:	876 
Size:	9.41 MB 
ID:	120991
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Space_Map_3.jpg 
Views:	530 
Size:	7.25 MB 
ID:	120989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Space_Map_4.jpg 
Views:	664 
Size:	9.02 MB 
ID:	120990

Okay, Jesus Christ, tone it down. What I was trying to convey with the above rambling is, my maps, and indeed most maps found on CG, are meant to satiate that urge we all have, of being transported to some fantastical realm of the mind. We illustrate that realm, but we leave most details out. Well, mostly because it is simply impossible to draw every single tree or name every street. But also because, if we leave enough room, the observer can fill the gaps themselves. Build on what is already there, make the map their own.
    I tend to put little snippets of information in my maps that allude to some peculiar place or concept that is not actually portrayed. Mostly, this is done with place names or subtitles that hopefully sound weird and/or fantastical. I often don't have a clue as to the meaning of those words; I just like to hint at something more than what is seen. An example of this is my map Kinebrach Verymensis, which had the words "Antediluvian doctrinaires of abstruse protocol" in it. Other than being a grandiloquent way of saying "Old hoary men who are real sticklers for the rules", it was also a silly little description to give that particular nation some character, albeit in a very minor way. But, with this map, my goal was to take that idea to the nth degree, while also stretching my literary muscles. Certainly there are examples of the same silly descriptions that lack context or utterly defy explanation, but I also elaborate (far too much) on other parts. As is typical of the science fiction genre, techno-babble and neologisms abounds in the text, so I have resorted to italicizing those words, just to emphasize even further that they are mostly nonsense, and that you should take them as such.
    Warning: this "map" probably has the most text of any map ever. If you do not like "reading" in maps, or in general, do "feel" "free" to "skip". There are also some neat-looking planets in it. And some faces. But mostly, this map is about the text.

Okay, so that's enough of that. Time to go outside now. Oh, wait...

Note: Because of the restrictions to file size on CG, I had to partition the map into four parts, so as not to lower the image quality to an unacceptable level.

P.S.
    If you find any spelling errors or grammatical discrepancies in the map, do let me know. My OCD thanks you.
    Last edited by Daelin; 03-21-2020 at 01:01 PM.

This is an incredible collection of worlds!

It's going to take a while to go through them all.

I wouldn't call this a map*, but I could see it as the backside of a National Astrographic map, if interstellar maps were actually printed. It is certainly map-adjacent enough to belong here. If I had to give a name to it, I think "visual gazetteer" would fit. In any case, it is quite impressive, though I haven't read through all of it yet, the bits I've checked out were interesting, and I really like the delegate portraits.

* - Although, adding actually navigational co-ordinates to the "location" entry would make it theoretically useful for navigation and therefore I would put it in the "is a map" bin.

It may not be a map but it is a guide of sorts. And it is really nice.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

It works well enough as a map for me. Even if that weren't the case, it's still a sharp bit of work.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Wow! To be honest, I don't not what to say besides: very impressive MAP!

You could use it to travel, as a guide to these places. It's certainly peripheral to a map, and very detailed as a worldbuilding piece, so I can't be angry that there isn't like, "and it takes 10 days to travel from this planet to this planet via the warp route or 58 years by slow freight" guidelines. I only read a couple of the inserts, but they were fascinating little bits I could easily see using in a roleplaying game on the fly if I needed some alien races.

Did you paint the faces too?

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Did you paint the faces too?
    Not exactly, no. I found photographs on various websites, and did some editing, changing bits and pieces, and added all the backgrounds and other elements, like the scars and metal plate on Thassuang. Then I ran them through this goofy website, which applies filters to give images a "cartoony" look. Fun fact, the face at the bottom left, Ezzy Andalusia, is Debbie Harry from Blondie. Man, what a foxy chick.

I did paint the planets, though. Painstakingly, pixel by pixel. lol.

Great work, Daelin !
    I'm recognizing some sources (like Pluto) which makes it even tastier .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast