Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: November Entry: Galactic Planetary Directory: Khuutath

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, I'm with Ravs, this one looks well done. It reminds me of something like a Wiki of the future for the planet Khuutath. Nice job. I'd bonk thee, but it seems I have already done so recently.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Yeah, I'm with Ravs, this one looks well done. It reminds me of something like a Wiki of the future for the planet Khuutath. Nice job. I'd bonk thee, but it seems I have already done so recently.
    You know I never thought about it like that, but I guess it is kinda like a WIKI

I did notice a problem with the "Imperial Sigil" in the upper left. So I redid it, changing it a bit.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galactic Survey Khuutath.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	7773  
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept

Man, this map just keeps getting better and better looking. Well done.

Post Fan content :)

Hmm I like the idea about Khuutath, so I decided to add some fan content for your challenge

Here is my version of Khuutath (yeah I know it lacks the continents) and a moon for Khuutath

Hehe now thats fun

Name:	Khuutath1.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	387.8 KB 
ID:	7923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khuutath2.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	184.0 KB 
ID:	7924  
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Steel, I like the image. It could just about pass for a new Master of Orion encyclopedia entry.

The text, though, isn't all that readable. The glow runs all the letters together and the black typeface, even with the glow, doesn't stand out from the background.

I'd suggest concentrating on doing your art inside the typeface. Beveling, texturing, etc inside rather than outside. That way the font lines remain clear. If you use an outside glow (no outside bevels), use a very subtle, soft effect to offset it from the background... like a drop shadow of sorts.

Trek's LCARS interface, for example, doesn't use any effects. Just various pastel colors against black or black against pastel.

And FWIW, I actually liked the original planet the best <embarrased>. It reminded me the most of Dune.

edit: I could see the font working as is, but against a background of the same color as the glow/bevel. That way it would look a little like one of those plastic label makers. Though your theme would start to take on a lower tech feel (maybe put a few patches and scratches on the interface).
    Last edited by Bedwyr; 11-20-2008 at 12:30 PM.

@Bedwyr - I've been toying with the idea of either dropping the glow on the text or shrinking it down some. I also liked the first planet, but I wanted to match (as closely as I could) the color scheme I had used in my previous challenge maps and the first version was to "yellow/gold", that's why I ended up re-doing it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hey it's solid artwork. Just getting you to take it to the next level.

The text is difficult to read at a small size, but it is very readable at a larger size. I wonder if you might get a similar effect that you want with making the text the color of the outer glow and toning the glow waaaay back.

This is really sharp. Really the substantive stuff is done and ready, all that I think you might be doing now is fine-tuning. Great entry and I think it is only going to get better.
    Something witty and pithy

OK, I've tweaked the text a bit, hopefully this makes it a bit easier to read at smaller sizes.

I think this will most likely be the final version...

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Galactic Survey Khuutath.png 
Views:	257 
Size:	2.91 MB 
ID:	7978  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast