Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Carian - Round... Who knows... [WIP]

Default Carian - Round... Who knows... [WIP]

Well I decided to take another stab at the continent of Cairan from my world I've been attempting to build forever... Anyways I've find a style that seems to fit more of what I wanted (more "dynamic" in effecting how things turn out). So the idea of what I want to do here is to have a Large over world map (not shown in this post or thread as of yet) have a continent based map, shown below (horrible image quality btw) and then do regional areas, and maybe if I get down to it, city/village areas... So tell me what you think! Ideas, comments etc let me know...
    Also the mountains are pretty "permanent" meaning I think I like where they are etc, but as for the rivers, desert area and forests they can all be moved, manipulated etc...

Hmm seems the thumbnail didn't like the attachments... Sorry!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaiZ.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	34431   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cai.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	34432  
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Honestly, I like just about everything about that. Except where the rivers flow across the plains(?). The transition from the bevel effect in the forests (which looks really good BTW) to none at all in the plains looks jarring. Maybe add a light bevel to those areas too?

Looking good I think the rivers could be more narrow/thin where they begin though
    Our sense of the stability of the earth is an illusion due to the shortness of our lives.
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks for the feedback Diamond and Slylok

I tried to transition the forests a bit better, and I did a little tapering on the rivers in the mountains/start places

Diamond you said this "Except where the rivers flow across the plains(?)" I thought rivers flowed in the least path of resistance and since its a plan they zig zag a lot more... maybe I don't quite understand...

Regardless heres an update, the Continent size I donno if I like the icons or not yet, still playing with it, but I got a scale in there now (tell me if it works or not) The Continent should be around 1000 miles miles and the done area around 230 miles across. So let me know what you think, and do tell if I messed on on something!

*Seems the thumbnail only liked me partly this time

Name:	CaiZ1.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	34469   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cai1.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	3.42 MB 
ID:	34468  
    Last edited by Yandor; 03-18-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Forgot images
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

No, I meant that the lack of bevel effect on the rivers where they flow across the plains, compared to the nice-looking bevel where they go through the forests, looks odd. The path of the rivers looks fine.

I see what he's saying, they look carved into the earth real good until they hit the plains whereupon they seem flat, like the bevel did not take. I had this problem once in one of my maps. It was because there wasn't as much in the area for the bevel script to effect so it came out flat. Might require some noise or manual alterations. At least that's what I ended up doing.

This does look really killer though. I like it.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    No, I meant that the lack of bevel effect on the rivers where they flow across the plains, compared to the nice-looking bevel where they go through the forests, looks odd. The path of the rivers looks fine.
    Those are called cliffs... Heh... it does seem odd that forests are the only place with river gorges....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

OHH!!! bahaha I gotcha, its because the river is flat, and the forest has a bevel on it, and when I cut the rivers out of the forest, it creates that illusion, it all makes sense now! I'll tinker with that, that is much easier to fix =D

Update - Added a fix for the rivers... Does that help remove the issue??

Name:	CaiZ1a.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	3.73 MB 
ID:	34492  
    Last edited by Yandor; 03-19-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    Projects

Yes, much better! Looks awesome, dude.

Hey looking good, my only critique is that the settlement textures (I'm assuming that is what they are) seem a bit out of place, I think it's blur around the edges thats throwing it off for me. Like the farmlands though, very well done.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast