Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help fellow cartographers you are my only hope!

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected ranger's Avatar

Question Please Help fellow cartographers you are my only hope!

Subject
    Hello, I would love to gain some assistance from someone here.
    I am a single dad with way too many projects and not enough time.

I have a current map that I would like assistance with to convert to a heightmap and put into wilber to generate a terrain.
    I would like a workable wilber or big file to work with to create a large scale project and a created world. (big map, encylopedia entries flora and fauna etc.
    Learning how to create it and setting up the heightmap (carefully painting the terrain to fit well) apparently is preventing me from moving forward with my map. So I am coming here to see if anyone is interested in assisting me, either paid or unpaid collaboration.

Here are a few links that are associated with my project.

1. This request was what got me wanting to create a heightmap.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ight=heightmap

2. This is my current map that i want to convert to heightmap/wilbur.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=18744

3. This tutorial was done based upon my request, but I have attempted and kept getting interrupted by real life, and too many other projects in the way.
    (I was not able to look closely at his pics because when i clicked nothing happened. - If you are reading this johnvanvliet I would love to work/pay you to get a high resolution image of this - )
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=36499

Just getting assitance to have someone walk me through the tutorial, or similar process would be ideal, would be willing to pay for this assistance or just work with someone and make a general full collaboration project - this is a large scale idea world build, that im planning on working with similar to the world of Elyden) (ill never get to his wonderful level, but the idea is what im going for.)
    Please PM me if you are able to assist me.
    I attempted to download and use the real world height map data like one tutorial suggested that I do, but each piece of the data seemed to be different scales from each other, and the heightmaps were slightly different in regards to the gradients. Also the gradients seemed to be too dark, I may just be doing something wrong I am not sure.
    Last edited by ranger; 03-06-2017 at 11:56 AM.

anyone interested in helping out?

I might be able to help. I would probably end up using something like Wilbur, which isn't FREE GPL'ed software. I would likely want to plop a little Photoshop work on there, too, and it's also not FREE GPL'ed software.

Blog Entries

If you are reading this johnvanvliet I would love to work/pay you to get a high resolution image of this - )
    please define high res ?

8192x4096 pixels
    16384x8192 pixels
    32768x16384 pixels -- 1.5 GIG
    65536 x 32768 pixels -- 6 GIG
    or
    86400x43200 pixels -- 10.4 GIG

i also no longer have the files i used in the short guide
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 04-15-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

johnvanvilet
    lol, one that i can use, your image you posted in that tutoral never came up for me, just a basic file that i can then manipulate would be great, just getting a starting point that has proper gradients

waldronate
    im pretty good with photoshop my main thing i was having trouble with was getting the proper height maps to begin with based upon my map
    when i used the nasa or whatever site it was i kept getting weird non matching scales for heightmaps and i was having trouble getting them to mesh proper

Blog Entries

ol, one that i can use, your image you posted in that tutoral never came up for me
    odd even with "no-script" and "adblock plus" running imgbox works on seamonkey( mozilla) , firefox ( with eff "privacy badger" ) and google chrome

for no-script you do need to allow the top domain name to run ( JUST like on this forum )

just a basic file that i can then manipulate would be great, just getting a starting point that has proper gradients
    i will have time this week ,in a few days i can post something

this image right ?
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44923&d=1337419824

and the same size ?

now the Continent with the desert is about the size of Australia ? right ?
    what is your idea of the lat long range in the image

i would guess something like 45 north to 45 south and only about 140 degrees east to west
    Last edited by johnvanvliet; 04-16-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

yep
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Erie World -White.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	94653

this should show approximately where in the world it is

i made this world map before i realized how much work just one continent would be lol

if i ever get to the others ill build them in the proper way using heightmaps
    if i can ever get a uniform scale heightmaps from that website

man....
    on a side note
    ive been semi out of it the last 5 years only bobing up here and there due to some brain medical issues. I am better now but most of my time is hazy for the last few years, about this point on the map, so you may be able to tell there was great start but I never finished up the final touch ups, as if you look at the close up you can see that I was hand crafting every detail, but i still had a good 30% to fully detail, hopefully with a good heightmap i can continue tweaking it and fluffing it out more.

what do you use for heightmaps? I will be using your technique for future projects and not require such massive work from a color file hah
    i just fell in love with this continent for some reason hah

oh one of the ideas was that large crater inner sea/lake was a fairly substantial elevation higher than the rainforest below causing waterfalls similar to angel falls in peru and the way the plateaus are high above the landscape below
    Last edited by ranger; 04-16-2017 at 10:31 PM.

btw the image links are working now actually, hold up if you have not started already i may be able to use the ones you did, and my brain may be clear enough to actually duplicate your tutorial better now

so i was messing around with it
    is it possible to pull this into fractal terrains to edit water level etc?
    or can you do that in wilbur?

Wilbur has only a single altitude channel and "water level" is a single altitude below which coloring changes and some processes terminate. Fractal Terrains has a separate water channel for altitudes, and any time water altitude is greater than land altitude, FT colors the area as water. Thus, FT can have lakes at any altitude, while Wilbur can't. Wilbur has better editing tools without a separation between fractal function and offset channel that FT has.

So, yes. It is possible to pull the image into FT to add water and so on. However, you wouldn't necessarily be able to do the same sort of river processing that you can in Wilbur.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast