Thread: A new setting for roleplaying and it's WIP map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip A new setting for roleplaying and it's WIP map

What do you guys like with this map and what do you dislike? What is in your opinion looking "wrong" ? Disregard the lack of islands please I haven't add them yet. Thank you!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map(6).jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	966.4 KB 
ID:	87939

The map is a little low resolution to say much about it.

The bottom river is running the wrong way (unless you intend for that river to run from the ocean inland to "Fenrir", the branches point the wrong way). See https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=3822 for some discussion on rivers.

I would also like to see a scale or some indicator of the land area covered by this map.

The "Funan" label doesn't seem to be rotated the same way as the other large labels. By "same way", I mean generally aligned with the long dimension of the labeled area. Also, the fonts seem a bit modern for the overall style of the map.

I'm not sure what "Heimdalk" is supposed to be. Is it a city on an island? It's hard for me to tell at this resolution.

The colors seem fairly harmonious and the mountain brushes are attractive. I'm not sure if the line art elements in the ocean match with the stylistic elements of the rest of the map.

As fantasy maps go this is a good start. You should add scale to help you understand the scope of what you are actually working with. (I have the same problem.) Things can get very crowded real quick. It is a fantasy world but it has to have some reality to make it feel like a world lived it and balances itself out. Scale will help you properly populate not only people and monsters but mountains, rivers and forests. From what this looks like, again I dont know the scale of things but it looks very over populated on a small island continent.

THINGS THAT NEED WORK
    * add scale
    * check/control population (unless you want it over crowded)
    * fix river problem
    * work on font placement and style

THINGS TO KEEP
    * color
    * Textures
    * coast line