Thread: Other World Mapper

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected Big Mac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyete View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to look at our project. We're just past 30% of our funding goal!
    The first two stretch goals have been revealed. We really hope to get to the awesome stuff in these.

First Stretch Goal: $10000
    • Option for labels to auto-center on objects
    • Option to populate regions with features (i.e. fill a region with trees).
    The Kickstarter just went over $10,000, so the first goal has been made. However, the above list is incomplete. There is also:
    • Location Notes and
    • SVG Support for Map Features

Quote Originally Posted by Kyete View Post
    Second Stretch Goal: $12000
    • Tools and artwork for creating Dungeon Maps
    There is also a third stretch goal (at $14,000):
    • City Map Tools,
    • Parallels and Meridians for Map Projections and
    • Importing SVG Files for Landmass Data

I'm a bit confused about the difference between SVG support for the first stretch goal and SVG input for this third one.

Anna Mayer (who did the Flanaess map and is doing cartography for The Southlands Kickstarter) has signed up to be an Alpha Tester. She has also been asking (on the comments page of their Kickstarter) about supplying them with "map art submissions" and has been talking about how she could work in Other World Mapper, export a map to create a 3D version and then re-import the map at the end of that process:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna Meyer on the Other World Mapper Kickstater
    Congratulations on reading the funding goal!

City mapping and SVG import wonderful. With that I can design a city layout in Other World Mapper, export it to my 3D software for professional rendering, and then import results back into OWM again. That way end users of my maps can alter and customize my maps to their special needs.

Now we need to reach those stretch goals!
    I find it really interesting that Anna Meyer is thinking of using this alongside 3D software.

EDIT: I have also asked (probably in the wrong place) if Other World Mapper might be able to help with the difficulty of getting the polar areas of planets right. That is something I've struggled with for many years and if they can make that easier, it would be awesome.
    Last edited by Big Mac; 10-25-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    David "Big Mac" Shepheard
    New to cartography and seeking advice - eventual goal to make a large number of maps for the many worlds of the Spelljammer Campaign Setting