Thread: Gensokyo

Map Gensokyo

Did this a little while back, thought I'd post it. Getting the composition right was pretty difficult and colouring it even more so. Never done a map in this style before and I'd like to try it on something a little more serious. The border was also just me playing around as well. It was fun to make though.

I actually tried making this map twice before at someone's suggestion, but previous attempts didn't turn out great. I am mostly pleased with this version though I'm sure I could do better next time. I might try my Duchy of Galbrin map in the same style but with softer outlines and more pastel tones or something!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice! Kind of has a bit of a Matt Groenig vibe to it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was thinking it reminded me of Springfield a lil bit.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Lovely map! I really like how the colours, images, font and composition contribute to the cutsey feel to it, gives it a ton of character.

Can you tell us a little more about how you went about making it?

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I agree. This is a lovely map. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about it. Well done.

Thanks for all the compliments! This whole thing was a fun experiment.

I did it all in photoshop, started with a white background then on another layer, I drew all the outlines with a 2/3px hard mechanical brush. Then I basically coloured it all in by hand, doing each bit on its own layer. Tried to stick with bold colours mainly, rather than the more desaturated palette I usually use. I tried a dawn/twilight palette at first, but it didn't work out.

The skyline uses a gradiant as does the forest, which fades into a darker green. The forest also has an inner shadow to give it the illusion of depth (oh how I love layer styles). The sunbeam was just a solid yellow bit, blurred and then the layer turned to soft light.
    Oh, and the leaves were a brush I found ages ago from brusheezy or something. I was originally going to go with cherry blossom but I couldn't get it too look right. I wanted to try an interesting border though the mountains are supposed to sort of frame the whole thing anyway.

... do you happen to know touhou.... lol