Thread: G projector increased resolution?

Default G projector increased resolution?

Hi , I see that Gprojector has a resolution limit, how can I do to make more localized zooms on a specific part of the globe but have a higher resolution ? Because when I do tht to the max allowed one I do not get very good details .

From what I can see I don't think you can. It seems like G.projector down-samples the map image. I just did a test with the orthographic projection and zoomed in. I had drawn a small but very sharp and readable bit of text. When I brought it into G.projector and zoomed in it was not clear and crisp.
    I think others have used G.projector to get the map projection they wanted and then redrew their maps from there.

I liked couse of the projections but I seriously need a zooming option for gigher res.

I agree. I just started using it yesterday and thought it was incredible. Then realizing that it was down-sampling the image it became clear any map projection I did with it would have to be redrawn. That was a bit of a downer. But it is still one hell of a free program.
    The other option - you could use the map image that goes into G.projector and try to make a 3d sphere [with 3d software] using that map as the texture of the sphere. Then you could render the sphere from any/all sides and that would give you a globe at least. Then you could zoom in as much as you want without loosing detail. And since you have a height map you could use that as the bump map layer and your globe would look more 3d ie. lighting/shadow, etc.

Obviously that is way more involved and time consuming though.
    edit - As an example I did this a long time back with a free 3d program called Anim8tor. The original image file was not real high resolution but if it had been the result would be high as well.
    TaUhn_r005.jpg
    Last edited by J.Edward; 08-09-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Hi , I see that Gprojector has a resolution limit, how can I do to make more localized zooms on a specific part of the globe but have a higher resolution ? Because when I do tht to the max allowed one I do not get very good details .
    You didn't like the Window>>Map Projection feature of Wilbur?

I tried it but the several settings always showed the same image and didn't seem to update, I coul only soom in and out

Make sure to use Surface>>Map Info and set the Edges to top=90, left=-180, right=180, and bottom=-90. Then click and drag on the map area of the Map Projection window to move things around (or enter the desired information directly in the dialog).

Yes but this is working for the "world map" , I dunno if I can add here "lines of latitudes and longitudes " as well as most importantly I am using a zoomed area, can I use this tool to represent a zoomed area with its curvature?its just a portion of the wall and not sure how to give it the correct bending .

For a grid in Wilbur, try View>>Overlay>>Rectangular Grid and set the units to degrees. You'll need to redraw the grid when you redraw the main view area.

The Map Projection window allows you to select a projection, center of projection, and zoom factor. There isn't an offset within the projection, but the user interface for export clips the image size at 1 million by 1 million. The map projection will keep the curvature appropriate to your projection and parameters.