Thread: [WIP] World of Aduhr

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Big thanks for sharing with us your wilbur process Charerg I personaly haven't had time yet to try it out but I am sure that many people will find it usefull. Oh and I saw that you're working on Central Eocidar now - I can't wait for results One question though: how are you going to handle distortion on a globl map? Are you going to erode high latitude areas in polar projection and then try to connect everything somehow (what I can imagine beeing a tricky task) or you are just not using wilbur for global map?

Quote Originally Posted by NadirtheFox View Post
    Big thanks for sharing with us your wilbur process Charerg I personaly haven't had time yet to try it out but I am sure that many people will find it usefull. Oh and I saw that you're working on Central Eocidar now - I can't wait for results One question though: how are you going to handle distortion on a globl map? Are you going to erode high latitude areas in polar projection and then try to connect everything somehow (what I can imagine beeing a tricky task) or you are just not using wilbur for global map?
    I'm basically just creating the height maps for each region separately and then I'm going to blend them all together into the global map. So no, I don't plan to use wilbur for the world map, I'll make the height maps for each area separately, roughly dividing large continents like Eocidar based on the drainage basins.

For example, the map of Akanrias was actually in Equirectangular Oblique projection (just as polar and even mid-latitude areas will be). Whereas the map of C. Eocidar I'm working on (though only sporadically right now) is in standard Equirectangular (and you can see part of Akanrias there, now reprojected back into Equirectangular).

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    I'm basically just creating the height maps for each region separately and then I'm going to blend them all together into the global map. So no, I don't plan to use wilbur for the world map, I'll make the height maps for each area separately, roughly dividing large continents like Eocidar based on the drainage basins.

For example, the map of Akanrias was actually in Equirectangular Oblique projection (just as polar and even mid-latitude areas will be). Whereas the map of C. Eocidar I'm working on (though only sporadically right now) is in standard Equirectangular (and you can see part of Akanrias there, now reprojected back into Equirectangular).
    I have been toying with the idea of using Wilbur to expand the resolution of my heightmap one it's finished. But it seems to me that it would be better to use equal area projections, particularly in higher latitudes.. I haven't yet come to a conclusion about this, specially since it's pretty far away down the line. Thoughts?

... sent from mobile ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of using Wilbur to expand the resolution of my heightmap one it's finished. But it seems to me that it would be better to use equal area projections, particularly in higher latitudes.. I haven't yet come to a conclusion about this, specially since it's pretty far away down the line. Thoughts?

... sent from mobile ...
    Well, equal area projections have their own distortions, so I'm not sure if it makes as much of a difference as one might think. I believe the key is to just split the world map into smaller chunks, then you can either use equirectangular oblique (centered on the area you're working on), or really any other projection that works for you. Because if you try to process the whole world at once it's still not going to produce good results even if you do use an equal area projection, since then the distance and shape will be distorted (which will make it more difficult to work on the map also).

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Well, equal area projections have their own distortions, so I'm not sure if it makes as much of a difference as one might think. I believe the key is to just split the world map into smaller chunks, then you can either use equirectangular oblique (centered on the area you're working on), or really any other projection that works for you. Because if you try to process the whole world at once it's still not going to produce good results even if you do use an equal area projection, since then the distance and shape will be distorted (which will make it more difficult to work on the map also).
    I wasn't thinking about processing the whole map at once, but only making those chunks in equal area projections.. Using an oblique equirectangular is almost the same, I guess, and easier to reproject into the original. I'm glad I asked for your thoughts cheers!

... sent from mobile ...