Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CC3 Continental Map: The Northlands

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    I just need to figure out how best to get the tree into CC3. At the moment, I'm having trouble with the transparency at the moment--do I need to explicitly define an alpha channel in a png?
    Is your hand drawn tree a PNG with a transparent background layer? How do you plan on getting it into CC3 - by just inserting the file?

If so, from Draw menu in CC3 select Insert File... Click the Bitmap Options button on the bottom of the Insert File box that pops up. Select Alpha Transparency on the Bitmap Options box that pops up and click OK to close that box, then navigate to your PNG file location in the Insert File box and click Open. You will then be asked to select first corner and second corner for where you want the bitmap to appear in the drawing.

That's the easiest way to get it in there. You could of course define it as a symbol, but that's a little more involved.

I'm not the best person to ask about PNGs and layers and transparency before they get into CC3, but I do know what to do with them once they're in CC3.

Well, it seems that PhotoPaint cannot export a PNG with transparency, so I pulled out Fireworks. Here's the tree if anyone wants it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large tree_HI2.png 
Views:	143 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	895  
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

And the most recent version of the map, with a new approach to the forest.

Name:	QoA&D topo with forest.PNG 
Views:	292 
Size:	3.28 MB 
ID:	896  

This is looking very nice - keep up the good work.

Thank you!

I think I've got all the information on the map that I need at the moment. Now I'm trying out some decorative elements, starting with a new compass rose inspired by one posted by Sir Alain in another thread.

Comments are welcome, as usual, and I'd like some suggestions about what to do with the land fill. I'm not wild about the flat color. Anyone got a texture that would look good there?

Name:	QoA&D topo with rose.PNG 
Views:	304 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	904  

Well, it seems that PhotoPaint cannot export a PNG with transparency, so I pulled out Fireworks. Here's the tree if anyone wants it:
    I've saved this image because I think the style of the tree would look very appropriate on maps I want to make for my Colonial Gothic campaign. Thanks!

I have Fireworks myself (and use it as my primary graphics program pre- and post-CC3). I have a question for you. Is it possible to open up a black and white GIF, JPG or BMP file in Fireworks (which would then be on a single layer) and then "convert" all the white pixels on that layer to transparency (leaving the black and any other colors untouched)? I'm hoping it can be done directly in Fireworks and I'm just not seeing where to do it. I have a bunch of black and white images that I'd like to make black and transparent and save as PNGs so I can use them in CC3.

Thank you!

I think I've got all the information on the map that I need at the moment. Now I'm trying out some decorative elements, starting with a new compass rose inspired by one posted by Sir Alain in another thread.

Comments are welcome, as usual, and I'd like some suggestions about what to do with the land fill. I'm not wild about the flat color. Anyone got a texture that would look good there?
    The compass rose looks excellent! Do you have a PNG for the ship you want to share? (hint hint nudge nudge )

As for the land background, how about a textured parchment?

Here are the ship alone and a version with the compass points on it. And a brief tutorial:

Setting Index Transparency in Fireworks MX (6.0):

First, make sure you can see the Optimize window. In the Export File Format drop-down box (upper left), make sure PNG-8 is selected. (If you select -24 or -32 you only get alpha transparency options.)

You should now see a drop-down box that says "Alpha Transparency." Change it to "Index Transparency." At this point, you can click "Rebuild" to see a box full of colors that Fireworks thinks are in your image. You should play with different selections in the Indexed Palette window to tweak your results. For line drawings, I like Grayscale, but obviously color drawings will probably benefit from one of the adaptive palettes. For ease in dealing with the color table, sort it by luminance.

Before you go on, you should select the "2-Up" view in your main window so you can monitor the results of your changes.

Now, at the bottom left of the Optimize window are three eyedropper tools. The right-most sets the initial transparent color. The middle one adds more colors to the transparency index, and the left-most removes colors from the index. Set your initial transparent color with the right eyedropper, then start adding colors with the middle one. I suggest you use the color table for precision's sake.

If your source image is anti-aliased, you will probably need to select several colors in order to reduce the haloing effect--that's the problem with index transparency.

When you are satisfied with your results, you need to export the image. Simply saving it, even though it may already be a png, will not allow the transparency to show up in other applications.

--
    I hope that helps. If the image is simple enough, though, you could set alpha transparency and then just use the magic wand and delete button--that's how I did the tree.

Name:	ship - cog5.png 
Views:	513 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	923   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ship rose2.png 
Views:	223 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	924  

I've been playing with some textures and the Transparency effect today.

The northern forest has a solid fill, and the larger forest has a texture. I can't decide which is better for this particular map. I do like the way the transparency gives a watercolour look.

Name:	QoA&D topographical textured.PNG 
Views:	685 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	926  

Thanks for the transparency tutorial - it's really opened up a whole new world of possibilites for me. Have some rep too!

I like the new landmass background you chose. I think it makes everything on the continent stick out better. It really works well with the new textured forest you've come up with - I'd stick with that.

Your map is looking better and better. Kudos for not being afraid to try new things and experiment.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast