Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: May/June Lite Mapping Challenge: Merydyan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hey, Mark . It's a magic circle symbol I've used before, in my dungeon map. Cc3+ already has the symbol, I just can't find which catalogue it's in at the .moment. I thought it was part of DD3, I just have to figure out where! It's not really that big of a deal, just an idea I wanted to try to see if I liked the effect.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Quote Originally Posted by ladiestorm View Post
    It's a magic circle symbol I've used before, in my dungeon map. Cc3+ already has the symbol, I just can't find which catalogue it's in at the .moment. I thought it was part of DD3, I just have to figure out where!
    The only magic circles of which I'm aware from ProFantasy are here in these catalogs:

(Raster Symbols)

\Data Folders\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Dungeons\DD3\DD 3 Color\Elemental and Magic.fsc

and

(Vector Symbols)

\Data Folders\ProFantasy\CC3Plus\Symbols\Dungeons\DD3\Fi lled\Elemental and Magic.fsc
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

There are also magic circles in a lot of the styles under the "borders" catalog.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking good, I new you had to join the challenge
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I didn't think I was going to be able to, because some of the elements I need, I just don't have in my program. I'm still going through the wonderful tutorial I recently received, but I'm having g to do it among all the other things I'm working on, which means it's slow going.

But, I'm a master at improvising. I'm a crafter as well.as a writer, and in most of my crafting projects I end up having to improvise somewhere... so I looked at the criteria, asked myself how I could improvise those elements I didn't have, and here I am
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

improvisation is an art ... love to improvise. Had a lot of it yesterday when I had to install a sliding door in the old crocked garden shed, trying to get the new sliding frame to fit on the old door (that was blown of last winter) in with the not very level floor of the shed. Lots of fun there. Map making is a lot about improvising - especially since there isn't really a formula to get where you want - and often you don't even know what you want until you get there. Nice to have you join the challenge
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Well, as I said in an earlier thread somewhere, each time I make a new map, I try to incorporate everything I've learned, but everytime I make a new map, I learn something new. With this map, I'm actually learning a couple of different things. Dealing with specific criteria(which I've had to deal with once before), spacing - not too sure how I'm doing with that, the concept is a little more elusive, and I'm trying a 'less is more' approach to this map. So here is my latest edition...

Trystan sighed as he moved through the forest. His herbs and relics were safely stored in his packs, waiting for the ritual that would extend his life, and prepare him for what is to come. He was not looking forward to this; he had hoped that this time, he could allow himself to pass away... three centuries of his lonely, solitary vigil had become too much, but now was not the time to think about that... He had three days to perform the ritual, and he had preparations to make. The Sacred Grove was just a bit farther, and the Henge stood waiting.

The change in the air was the only warning Trystan got. Hooded figures stepped out from behind the trees all around him, unholy magic spilling from their fingers. Trystan didn't hesitate - he called up whirlwinds, flinging dirt and fallen leaves into their faces, while Ebony reared up on her hind legs and kicked at the closest figure. Her hoof caught the side of his head and he dropped to the ground like a stone. Trystan lifted three others on the winds slamming them together before dropping them to the earth. That left three more for him to deal with.

The dark fire from these acolyte's hands met his blue fire in a battle of will. If Trystan had been alone, and a lot less experienced, this might have caused him a problem, but Trystan and Ebony had worked together before. He kept his enemies trained on him as Ebony cantered to her next target, and her next. The last acolyte was blasted off his feet by Trystan's force fire, and slammed against the nearest tree. He fell to the ground with a surprised shout, and moved no more.

Alert now for any trouble, Trystan proceeded quietly to the Henge. Staying within the treeline, he studied the Henge, cursing in silent outrage at what he found. These acolytes had desecrated the sacred temple with their foul magic, and meant to destroy it further with human sacrifice!!! He could just barely make out the naked form of a female, chained to the alter, a wicked priest standing over her, chanting, a dagger grasped in both hands above his head. Storm clouds swirled above, evidence of the magics fighting for dominance. Trystan had but seconds before that dagger was plunged deep into the poor lady's chest...

Trystan looked up at the storm clouds building, and raised his staff. Calling on his strength and will, he called lightning down from those clouds, striking first the priest, then the other acolytes bent in unholy prayer. Shrieks rent the night as the lightning found its marks. Bodies crumpled all around, and the priest, caught up in the magic wrested from his control, coalesced before turning to ash. The dagger fell to the alter with a loud clatter, but the figure chained to it did not stir.

Praying that he was not too late, Trystan rushed forward. He was halfway to the unconcious woman when he noticed the wings. That stopped him short for a brief moment... a Celestial! This evil cult, whoever they were had managed to capture a Celestial, the winged inhabitants of Mount Celystia, believed to be descendants of the gods. Why would a Celestial be so far from home? They rarely left their mountain.

Trystan approached the alter. Searching around it quickly, he found a key on a chain, and used it to unlock her shackles. An uncorked bottle lying nearby, the bruises and bloody cuts on her body explained why she wasn't struggling. The first raindrops pounded the ground as Trystan found her garments, shredded, a few feet away. Thinking quickly, Trystan wrapped the unconscious woman in his cloak, and scooped her into his arms.

The feel of arms around her caused her to stir, and struggle. Trystan almost dropped her as she tried, feebly, to escape.
    "Shhhh, it's alright, you're safe. I'm not here to harm you," Trystan whispered so as not to scare her further. "Let me get you somewhere dry."

Drugged and groggy eyes opened, and Trystan looked into her blue eyes... so deep a blue that he could get lost in them, and so unfocussed he knew immediately that her injuries were more severe than he originally anticipated. She drew in a breath, wincing at the pain.
    "My....weapons. They took....my weapons." Her voice, even painfilled that it was, was as melodious as the sparrow's song. For the first time in countless centuries, a longing stirred in Trystan... a longing to hear full conversations from that melodious voice.
    "If they are here, I will find them. You're hurt. Just rest, my lady."

Trystan laid her down carefully on the ground at the base of a hillside, then called once more on the magics to create a structure around them both. A moderate hill home, in the Halfling's style sprang up around them, providing shelter against the now pouring rain. A quick wave of his staff created a sheltered lean to stable for Ebony. Trystan gently lifted the Celestial into a bed, covered her in blankets, then went back outside in the rain. He took his time searching the Henge and the Sacred Grove, both for her weapons, and for any evidence that might help him determine who his enemies were. He found their camp almost a mile away laid out at the base of the mountains. A thorough search revealed nothing but weapons obviously belonging to the Celestial... a short sword and whip, from some master craftsman, inlaid with gold and silver, and warm to the touch.

He made his way back to his camp, and reentered the shelter he had made. He laid the Celestial's weapons down under her bed, then pulled over a chair to watch over her sleeping form. He sat with a sigh, already lost in thought...

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merydyan03lrg.PNG 
Views:	67 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	83861
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 05-27-2016 at 12:07 PM.
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

HEY!!! Who's writing this novel? You or my imaginary author? Actually, that is a great story.

Nice improvements on the map, I like how you fixed the mountain lakes.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Curious did you set scale first before starting to Map?
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

@Bogie - thanks I like the lakes better this way... and as for the story, well, you do remember that I AM a writer, right? I just couldn't help myself... besides, writing out a story idea is helping me focus my thoughts on the map a little better... one inspiring the other... is that okay?

@jpstod - uhm... no, I didn't, because I don't actually know how to do that, yet.... perhaps that's another lesson I'll learn as I do this challenge, or at least learn from this challenge. I don't know if there's a feature in the program that helps me do that, I will have to check
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast