Thread: June Entry - Frodo's Journey

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks guys, I think the information in this map / chart / graph / thingy is going to be slightly different from the 'Napoleon' style one Mearrin mentioned (@Mearrin - RobA introduced me to Tufte a few years back and I devoured the books- great stuff!). This one (now that I'm begining to get the shape of it) shows time and distance and how it relates to chapters in the books. I've finished the timeline (thanks to EowynChallenge.net which had all the dates, distances and critical events - I'll credit them in the map - amazing stuff and worth a read). Also helpful was the Tolkien Wiki and The Lord of the Rings Fanatic Site. So the idea is to combine as much as I can of the data on those sites into a small space.

Anyway, I've finished the time/distance line and am quite taken aback by how compressed in terms of time and space 'The Two Towers' and 'The Return of the King' are compared to the Fellowship. Also interesting (to me) is that I was expecting a huge spike in the gradient for the bit when the fellowship were travelling down the Anduin by boat but the gradient isn't too much differerent from walking.

I'm really getting into this one now just for the surprises. What the hell were they doing in Rivendell for so long? Bloody slackers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails render_02.pdf  

It seems that you always have a new (and different) idea cooking. Keep the updates coming...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    What the hell were they doing in Rivendell for so long? Bloody slackers.
    It's all Frodo's fault, that's what he gets for impaling himself on the end of a Nazgul blade.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.