The reason I ask is because, if I understand correctly, the Sahara is a result of being in the high pressure belt, combined with the fact that that the part of Africa it occupies is a large landmass, and atmospheric moisture would have all fallen as rain before reaching the center of that landmass anyway. Thus, 2 desert creating forces serve to make the Sahara (unless I'm misunderstanding something).

At the equator (also unless I'm missing something), I'm told that the wind patterns are vertical , as in, traveling from the ground to the sky, but not from east to west or west to east. I'm also told that much of the equator's air moisture comes from the ocean. Because of the wind pattern I mentioned, I don't expect moisture to travel much across longitudes. So if I'm getting this right, I'd expect the rain to kind of just fall where the the moisture was collected in the first place.

If Africa were to be shifted as I mentioned, the Sahara would lose its position in the tropics, but still retain its location on a large continental mass with much of its area far from the ocean. So I'd guess there would be rain forests along the coast of where the Sahara is on the continent, but how far into the continent would they go? Would the Sahara disappear completely?

I ask because I'm working on a fictional world map and I have a large area land mass along the equator, significantly larger than northern Africa. If I'm wrong in anything I mentioned please correct me. This has been bugging me for weeks.