I have a similar reaction to postmodernism in architecture. Sure, deconstructing architecture in specific and art in general is useful, but I don't really think we need 60 years worth of making things wrong just to prove that tradition has no hold on us. I think a lot of buildings should be designed that should never be built. The Denver Art Museum is another good example of a ridiculous design that has a significant negative impact on its usability. They've replaced the roof at least twice, and at great cost because of the odd materials and shape. There seems to be some kind of notion that art is only good if it's "innovative," but innovation isn't about simply doing something that hasn't been done before. It can't be forced that way; when you try it just comes across as pretentious. In my not-at-all humble opinion, of course.

I do somewhat disagree with you concerning Falling Water. True, you aren't going to have manufactured goods going into it, but what you will have are careful and proficient crafters maintaining it. It will be expensive, but anyone who can afford to own Falling Water in the first place has plenty of money. I would actually like to see a lot more of that kind of work in the world—products that depend upon and contribute to a small economy rather than a gigantic one—although not on that particular scale. On the other hand, that particular house has a big longevity problem. Between the water and the trees, its days are numbered, even leaving aside the structural problems it's had since day one.

In my opinion, good design is functional as well as beautiful. A rule should not be broken for the sake of breaking rules but because the rule is standing in the way of better design, and the consequences of breaking that rule need to be thoroughly understood and compensated for.