Quote Originally Posted by jwbjerk View Post
I also seem to have a chicken-or-the-egg type problem. Looking over Earth's elevation map, i get the impression that erosion patterns are much more strongly defined in wet areas than dry ones. But of course you need to know elevation to figure out your rainfall patterns. Is the difference really going to be significant on a global scale? How have other people dealt with this?
For the first question, I'm sorry, I just got the same problem of detail level...

But, for your question, I talked with a geologist about such a similar matter. He said to me that the erosion patterns could be approximate this way: In the beginning the erosion is quite everywhere the same. What really matters is the geological soil. On a long scale it tends to diverge from regions to regions. For exemple after at a certain time, a region will be quite flat because of its soil which is far more tender than another region. And so you've got the first step to define your rainfall patterns! I think you'll have to work those question together.
I hope I was understandable enough...