Thread: January Challenge: Create a Map for Print!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Great, Jan challenge is live. I'll probably enter something for GP to sell but I don't think I need any printing done so ill probably let somebody else get their map printed. House is already full of stuff and if I get to play these days then its all digital now.

Some interesting points to note tho is that as a commercial enterprise you will not be able to use other peoples creative commons - non commercial stuff unless you can get the originators express permission.

And we have had people worried about doing a map. Yeah, just do a vector one. Save it as a PDF or an SVG type and run with that instead.

I'll probably do a battle map for play on the table top with miniatures so that would be a nice big area to go for. I'll probably try to combine a lot of what I have managed to get right so far to this point. Like scripted tiles, contours & terrain etc. Not sure exactly what tho.

I'll run the thumbnails again this month (until Arcana gets the auto thumber going...). I don't want to keep downloading 10K square sized maps tho In the past I used to make 4K WIPs but its all a bit silly. So now my WIPs are about 2K max otherwise its like looking at them through a microscope.

I expect that with such an open ended criteria and a prize that this will make for the biggest turnout yet.

Edit -- Oh yeah, type "36 inches in cm" into google (the normal search engine request) and it will tell you the result. It has a built in calculator with many compatible units. As in
    "36 inches in leagues" gives 36 inches = 0.000164578834 leagues for those people who game in leagues, or 36 inches = 0.00454545455 furlongs if your so inclined Flippin eck it is complete isnt it.... 36 inches = 9 144 000 000 angstroms... Nach failes for "36 inches in roods"

Oh and 36x24 is 180ft x 120ft if 1 inch = 5ft scale (or 1:60) to save you the trouble of doing the obvious first bit of math.

Code:
    ### New Challenge Entry:Hoel,3875
    ### New Challenge Entry:gorkamorka,3878
    ### New Challenge Entry:Valarian,3880
    ### New Challenge Entry:Korrigan,3883
    ### New Challenge Entry:ukgpublishing,3886
    ### New Challenge Entry:Greason Wolfe,3887
    ### New Challenge Entry:Nomadic,3898
    ### New Challenge Entry:Sagenlicht,3914
    ### New Challenge Entry:Midgardsormr,3923
    ### New Challenge Entry:languard,3931
    ### New Challenge Entry:Rahva,3949
    ### New Challenge Entry:Steel General,3951
    ### New Challenge Entry:bryguy,3954
    ### New Challenge Entry:MarkusTay,3958
    ### New Challenge Entry:mmmmmpig,3964
    ### New Challenge Entry:Ascension,3979
    ### New Challenge Entry:Bohunk,3993
    ### New Challenge Entry:Malakor,4012
    ### New Challenge Entry:Ydars,4028
    ### New Challenge Entry:industrygothica,4044
    ### New Challenge Entry:Monks,4055
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-26-2009 at 05:48 PM.