Thread: Current World Making Software

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hehehe! Mac-heads are such evil manipulative folks. Absolutely, and while he's at it, he can port Wilbur. Eeeexcelent!

I've been looking at java as a front end with the heavy lifting being done in a portable native implementation. Just number crunching without system calls. JNI will make sure the floats are 32-bit IEEE754 and the doubles are 64-bit IEEE754. I don't know about FT, but the GUI for Wilbur wouldn't slow java down at all, and putting the user interface and a lot of the filehandling in java would make the system calls portable.

Come on, Joe, think about it, please.

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Hehehe! Mac-heads are such evil manipulative folks. Absolutely, and while he's at it, he can port Wilbur. Eeeexcelent!

I've been looking at java as a front end with the heavy lifting being done in a portable native implementation. Just number crunching without system calls. JNI will make sure the floats are 32-bit IEEE754 and the doubles are 64-bit IEEE754. I don't know about FT, but the GUI for Wilbur wouldn't slow java down at all, and putting the user interface and a lot of the filehandling in java would make the system calls portable.

Come on, Joe, think about it, please.
    It's unlikely that there will be a port of either software package in the near future. A few hundred thousand lines of code don't turn on a dime. If I were to port them I would like aim for the .NET platform as that is a relatively saleable skillset.

And I'm guessing that open sourcing Wilbur is out of the question, because a lot of the source is proprietary to FT?

I'll stop pestering you now...