Thread: Taur Cordof WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yes I'm still working in it! haven't gotten distracted yet.. (well I have, but not completely). No visible updates at this time, but I am making progress in my excel spreadsheet.

First step was to make a list of all the current names for the real world locations I'm adding. Then I added a column for Feature type so i can filter location types and be consistent with the naming (Lake whaterver, River whatever, etc). English translation column, since a LOT of the names are based on Native American names and such, so I'm translating them into english first. finally, an Elvish translation column, at which point I'll start placing the names on the map.

Sometimes I think I'm overthinking this process, the rest of the time my "attention to detail" self is pleased with my approach

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Yes I'm still working in it! haven't gotten distracted yet.. (well I have, but not completely). No visible updates at this time, but I am making progress in my excel spreadsheet.

First step was to make a list of all the current names for the real world locations I'm adding. Then I added a column for Feature type so i can filter location types and be consistent with the naming (Lake whaterver, River whatever, etc). English translation column, since a LOT of the names are based on Native American names and such, so I'm translating them into english first. finally, an Elvish translation column, at which point I'll start placing the names on the map.

Sometimes I think I'm overthinking this process, the rest of the time my "attention to detail" self is pleased with my approach
    Wow.. far too much hassle. Gobbledigook rules the day as far as I'm concerned.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Wow.. far too much hassle. Gobbledigook rules the day as far as I'm concerned.
    I may have to resort to that.

For example: I'm trying to translate Albany, which is a city in NY state. So far, the best translation to the original meaning goes along the lines of "Meaning of "Albany"
    In Scottish, the name Albany means- Derived from a former name for northern Scotland.. Other origins for the name Albany include - Scottish, Latin-American, English."

Ok, great, BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!!!
    Name:  image066.gif
Views: 82
Size:  1.2 KB

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Perfectionism can really suck sometimes, but it's well worth it in the end