Thread: Winter farmhouse battlemap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thanks for the crits Joe and the compliment Ark. I'd probably need to spend a bit more time on the rock shadows to ground them properly. I think the tonal value on the shaded side of the rock should be closer to the shadow on the ground close to the rock. That would tie them together better. Anyway, the game is done now and it went well. Here's a little screenie of it in use:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farmstead3.png 
Views:	275 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	4391

Why do players always set fire to things?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Why do players always set fire to things?
    You wanna make em pay for the damage - that will stop them pretty quick.

"Thankyou Lord [insert suitably avant-gard fighter name] for clearing out my house infestation. Heres 2500gp... less 5gps per smashed door, 150gps to replace the burnt rugs, 250gps to buy some new paintings, 500gps to compensate my daughters trauma..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Fire is FUN!!!
    but I haven't the foggiest clue as to why players set things on fire... my players also like to set things on fire... and 80% of the time... it isn't even intentional... lol

How about: "the flames have almost completely engulfed the roof of the (the next few words are spoken very quietly almost inaudibly) lamp oil repository (back to normal voice) as you approach eagerly searching for any loot. You get within ...lets say (roll a dice and stare knowingly at it regardless of what the result is) 5 feet from the flaming building."

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Guild Journeyer

My players tend to stop burning everything down after a band of orks burn them out of an abandoned farmhouse. Fire is a two way street.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennZilla View Post
    My players tend to stop burning everything down after a band of orks burn them out of an abandoned farmhouse. Fire is a two way street.
    Two half-ogres in shiny pinstripe suits come to visit the PCs: "We is here to investuhgate reports of non-union arson in dis here area. Youse guys know anytin about dis?" Especially effective on lower-level PCs.

edit: I suppose that should be "non-guild" for a fantasy setting rather than "non-union".

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The PCs find another house on a steep slope deep in snow. They torch the house and walk down the slope laughing. The snow above starts to melt. They hear a dull rumble and look up to see a wall of ice and snow bearing down on them.

As they roll up new characters the GM leans back with an innocent look on his face "Well if you will torch everything..."

An avalanche might actually make a fun encounter, and it could be a handy and plausible way to separate a PC from troublesome gear.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    (roll a dice and stare knowingly at it regardless of what the result is) --Torq
    This is my all time FAVORITE tactic to really let players know .... how final a result is